Mountain Buzz banner

Warm clothes for rafting

Tags
rafting
7K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  cataraftgirl 
#1 ·
I'm looking to pick up some warm layers for high-flow spring rafting (class IV stuff) here in Colorado. I'm thinking of getting some sort of wetsuit combo; I'm just not sure what the best option for me would be. In particular, I'm waffling between these:

1) NRS 2.0 Farmer John Wetsuit
2) NRS 1.5 HydroSkin Pants + NRS 0.5 HydroSkin Jacket

I'll most likely be wearing a splash jacket along with either of these. Are there any major pros and cons with either of these setups? Since in a cataraft I'm looking for a system that'll keep me warm from splashes and in case I take a swim; I'm thinking a full drysuit is a bit overkill for this...

#2 ·
For my first runoff season in Colorado, I ran the hydroskin 1.5 pants, and a 1.5 top. My thought on the 1.5 top was keeping my core warm in the event of a swim, or a major soaking. It worked well for that, but can be a bit warm once the water goes down and the temps rise... I have since upgraded to a drysuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#3 ·
Being a person who lived in and rafted many CO rivers as well as WA and ID rivers there is no substitute for a dry suit, even a semi dry with the neoprene gaskets vs. the latex is a huge step up and will keep you warmer and dryer than a wetsuit with any kind of layering. Before my drysuit I had really good splash gear and a semi dry top which was much like the semi dry suits. There are my pennies for you ;) Best of luck! Renee

#5 ·
drysuit

I would recommend a drysuit as well. The runoff in the spring was snow about 24 hours before in my area of Colorado, and is difficult to dress for with a wetsuit because you need a lot of insulation if you swim, but wont want it most of the time while paddling. Wet suits are nice because they provide a little impact protection, but have a much more limited ideal temperature range when compared to a dry suit and layers.

When I was starting out I used a nationwide craigslist search, and found 4 Kokatat drysuits for about $20 each in different areas. I bought them using paypal, and used them for a few seasons before upgrading and passing them along to friends.

I prefer a wet suit for in water activities because the water temp is usually pretty consistent so it is easier to stay comfortable than sports where you are mostly out of the water. I also find wet suits easier to swim in.

Most wet suits force you to remove them, or stew in your own if you have to pee, so that is another thing to consider.

#7 ·
I agree with all the sentiments in this thread. Go with the drysuit, unless you for sure know that this will be a 1 and done season and you are never going rafting again.

The tend to hold some value if you decide you don't like it and need to sell it.

They do require some level of care though, you don't want to ruin the booties by slamming them in car doors or walking around without shoes. And you will also want to consider how well your shoe size would fit on the booties!

#9 ·
Lots to consider here. Drysuits are so dang expensive!
And worth every red cent when you get that first bucketfull of ice water hitting you in the chest or go for that spring runoff swim. Start putting away $100/month now for a spring purchase.

-AH

#10 ·
Also, keep an eye on Boatertalk. You can set up an alert that will email you every time someone posts one on the gear swap, and since a drysuit can be easily shipped it won't matter if the seller is in the southeast or somewhere else that's not where you are. Keep an eye on fleabay too, and most important, keep up with Kayak Academy's inventory. They often sell gently used or even new drysuits at significant discounts and they're very nice folks. I bet you'll find you can source a drysuit for only marginally more than a complete set of Hydroskins. Happy hunting!

#11 ·
lined wetsuit

Or, find a fleece lined neoprene wetsuit. I have an older Bomber gear, fleece lined long sleeve top and long pants. Super warm, even when wet....not a dry suit but if price is the issue it may be a good substitute to find something like that. I believe bomber gear is out of business but I am sure there are other lined wetsuits out there.

#12 ·
Or, find a fleece lined neoprene wetsuit. I have an older Bomber gear, fleece lined long sleeve top and long pants. Super warm, even when wet....not a dry suit but if price is the issue it may be a good substitute to find something like that. I believe bomber gear is out of business but I am sure there are other lined wetsuits out there.
Nrs has fuzzy neoprene lined wetsuits. I have their booties that are lined and they're fantastic.

I have said it before and certainly caught some flack for it. I love my farmer Jane. In the spring (we start kayaking in February) I combine it with either a warm quick dry shirt or my hydroskin top (whichever one smells less on that given day) under my bomber gear splash top with neoprene wrist cuffs and a Velcro neck. It keeps me extremely happy.
That being said, I am a cold water freak. I don't wear gloves or pogies because honestly they both bother the fuck out of me. I also take cold showers during high water (for the sake of being used to it) and summer (for the sake of not being hot). Just about every single trip, doesn't matter what time of year, I will likely be in the water going for a voluntary swim or float just to cool off.

I think it ultimately depends on how much you enjoy cold water, your level of tolerance for cold water, and how often you think you'll actually swim. I've never swam out of a raft, so there's that....

#16 ·
I'd rather see everyone in cheap Chinese boats and $1000 dry suits than spending the money on the boats and skimping on your personal protection. I'm not a colorado boater, but out here in Oregon I most likely would have died from hypothermia a few times over without a good drysuit.
The last Rogue trip I was on was in May, and we had a guy go pre-hypothermic on us from not properly wearing a dry suit. 55 degree water temp and 55 degree air temp with a steady rain. He didn't zip his relief zipper all of the way and dumped an IK early in the day. We couldn't get him warm for hours. I do have an NRS grizzly , but I wear it strictly for comfort, I don't consider it thermal protection, it is pretty much for comfort and body temp regulation to me. I wear it on days where I want to swim for fun and be comfortable, or swim long enough to wet the suit to keep me cool in the boat.
If you run the risk of staying in water cold enough to hurt you for an extended period, you need real thermal protection. I can't stress it enough. I've seen it, and I've experienced it.

#17 ·
Another vote of confidence for Kayak Academy. I have had good luck with them on buying dry suits and trading in one that did not work for me in on a Kokatat Gore Tex which I still use. They may not be the cheapest vendor but for me their quality and customer service has been first class. As mentioned above, watch Kayak Academy for sales as good deals turn up often.

#19 ·
Dry suit all day. I've been boating in CO for 12 spring runoff seasons now. Thats not as many as some, but it was enough to go from long underwear and rain gear to neoprene and splash gear to semi-dri top and bottoms to a dry suit. I wish I would have gone straight to the suit, but in a way I'm glad I didn't. I got to see a lot of people try a lot of drysuits and realized they are not all created equal. What it boils down to is you get what you pay for. Buy a top of the line suit from a reputable manufacturer. Stay away from. NRS I've seen many NRS gaskets split at put ins. Buy a suit made from durable, heavy materials with extra material at the butt and knees. Pay the extra for the relief zipper, it's worth every penny. Buy gasket lube and zipper grease and keep those things in good shape. Make a good investment, protect it, and you'll have it a long time.

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.