Old 06-27-2014   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I also have Dexter EZ Lube axle and just greased bearings for recent Lodore trip. Marine grease, my stuff is red and that helps distinguish it from the grey gook that comes out when you pump it in. Don't have any problem with blowing seal out but it's time to pull everything and repack as described above. Lots of good advice here, unlike some threads on the Buzz.... best way to make sure all is good with trailer bearings is the touch test: tow it 30 miles or so and put your hand on grease cap: if it's anything resembling hot you have a problem. You can also shoot it with a laser temperature gun (electrician tool): if any more than 10-15 degrees above ambient temperature, you have a problem.
Really shouldn't head out on any trip of more than couple hundred miles without spare bearing(s), pack in a ziplock with a little mini-grease gun unless you're already carrying latter for your outboard (good idea). Bearings are very common but out in boondocks it's always comforting to be self-sufficient...

B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Thanks for all the advice - you guys rock!
(I avoided the need to understand anything about trailers by having only small boats that I could toss up on the car roof for a while, but I/we hit the limit -- my wife is especially happy now about not having to help get the 12 foot raft and frame up on the roof! -- and of course, now that I have a trailer, I can get an even bigger raft; oh, and then I'll need a big truck, and then...)

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules