Old 05-18-2015   #1
RED CLIFF, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Using a parachute for tailwind?

The link below is a pop chute for a parachute, was thinking this could be a awesome way to take advantage of a tail wind, if rigged right that is. Has anyone ever done this before? I've seen people raise tarps for sails before but figured this would be cleaner looking...if it works.

DIRIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #2
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Ya it would make a great sea anchor. You could even row down stream hard and not get anywhere. Just like the wind was blowing up stream.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #3
Cascade, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
At 4.5 feet, it seems kinda small. I bet after 120 river days when you finally get a stiff tailwind on flatwater, you'll spend just enough time rigging it that when you finally get it popped up the wind will be gone. But then again, 60% of the time we devote to rafting is spent in the garage tinkering with shit like this to try something new next time. And sometimes it pays off. I'll just keep a tarp handy myself and save the 15 bucks.
dthurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #4
cedar city, Utah
I have considered bringing my kayak sail on river trips but always forget to pack it. I have used it for sea kayaking and it got me up to 10-ish mph according to my GPS. I purchased it when I paddled the length of Lake Powell solo. The drag on a raft would lower that significantly but I have had plenty of tail winds on trips like Deso to make it an intriguing experiment. I bet you could add 2-3 mph to the current's speed. The kayak sails attach and detach easily.

I have one of the Windpaddle sails. I doubt I would buy one solely for this purpose given their cost but they would work a lot better than the parachute you linked. For $13 it can't hurt to try the one you have linked. Either way prepare for a bit of upper body workout using it (you will likely need someone to hold it in place no matter the design) as it takes quite a bit of resistance in any wind worthwhile deploying it in.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
When do you ever have tail winds? Seems the wind is 95% up canyon.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Seems like a great way to make sure you never get a tailwind again.
thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #7
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm thinking sea anchor use!

We recently hit an upriver wind so sever we could barely row down river with two people. I emptied my trash bucket, put a strap on it and threw it in the river and it made all the difference in the world, boat didn't go back upstream on the back stroke....

As has been said upriver winds are way more common so get a sea anchor for upriver winds and just relax and enjoy if you're lucky enough to get a down river wind. ...or maybe you could use that thing for both a downriver sail and a sea anchor?
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #8
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I have dropped my bimini forward on the raft on the rare occasion when we had a downstream wind. It worked very well for the 15 minutes that it lasted.

boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #9
Searching for water....., Nevada
Why are you in such a hurry to get off the river?
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #10
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Why are you in such a hurry to get off the river?
That's what I was thinking, don't know why you'd ever need to take advantage of the rare tailwind. Maybe across a lake.

Done the bucket anchor a few times, can help a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote