Old 05-12-2014   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Used Hyside or Tributary?

I'm torn between upgrading into a '96' Hyside in great shape or a one year old Tributary ( Demo) still under warranty. Both with good frames, I have a family of four + dog 5-10 trips a year, maybe one or two multiple day trips. Any thoughts on the older 80/20 hypalon vs. Newer PVC? I havn't seen the Hyside in person yet....

magpie&bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #2
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Without seeing the Hyside I'd opt for the Trib, but if the Hyside was in excellent condition I might want it instead. An 18 year old boat isn't worth a risk on unless I got to see it in person.

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #3
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I wouldn't purchase any used boat without looking at it or sending someone you trust to look at it. I've never been a fan of the Tributaries but your mileage may vary. Comparing a one year old Trib with an 18 year old Hyside could be apples to apples though. Hypalon lasts a long time.

I have an Avon that is between 25 and 35 years old. I examined it and bought it after digging it out of a bin where it had been rolled up for five years. Its done at least one other five year stint rolled up. It is still in great shape and I love watching my buddies top off their boats in the morning when I don't have to.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
I'd pick the Hyside over the Aire anyday.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #5
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you really enjoy cleaning and maintaining your boat, get the trib. I you enjoy using your boat, get the hyside.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #6
Lawson, Colorado
We bought a new Tributary 14' in 2006 and ran it for 6 seasons before selling it to my brother fall of 2012. Boat is still going strong. The only problem we've had was a bad valve which Aire replaced under warranty. We upgraded to a 156D.

During the 6 seasons we used the boat it went on 3x Deso week long trips, 2x Chama, many RHT & WW trips, annual Memorial Day Ark weekends, and countless trips on the Upper C. We used this boat on average 25-30 days/year, trailered or rolled & packed.

Cleaning & maintenance: I've only owned Aire boats so I can't speak to the other brands, but I have never found it difficult. We rinse off the boat if it's dirty after a run. End of season I clean & 303 the boat, and open & rinse the floor. Opening the floor is easy: just use dish soap to lube the zippers and they open right up.

The reason you should consider cleaning the floor is that Aires boat hold water in their floors & fine silt can stay behind: pros & cons of this design have been well documented on this site. Again I've only owned Aire boats but has never been a problem-doubt we would have bought a 2nd Aire if it was.
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #7
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Both the same size? I'd think you want at least a 14' boat with the dog.

We like our Trib 13.0, but it gets small fast with a water dog. It's light and nimble. I often wish I had the 14.0 for bigger water, but it's awesome for just the 4 of us (2 preteens) as it's easy to carry.

I have friends who are running 20 year-old 14' Hysides and love them. Bomber boats.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
So I checked out the Hyside last night. It's got a few preventative professionally done patches, minimal wear marks. Doesn't look faded except for the logos which is normal. The only question I have is there is what appears to be an added patch from the bow to stern on the floor inside the raft. The piece is grommeted and laced with the rest of the floor. The current owner knows nothing about it and had never noticed it. He's had the boat for three years and only used it three times. Should I be concerned? Or is this a piece Hyside installs?

magpie&bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #9
C. Springs, Colorado
Without a picture it is hard to tell. Best bet is to call AAA or DRE and ask them about it. They lace and unlace floors all the time.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote