Unbelievable New Boat - Class V rated!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-13-2016   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Unbelievable New Boat - Class V rated!!!!

Dave Scadden Paddlesports -

"Dave Scadden's unbelievable new 2017 Carbon Predator raises the bar of one person pontoon craft performance even higher with an astounding hull weight of
8 lbs…yes you read right 8 lbs.!!! The new Carbon Predator is 30% lighter than the standard Predator and 30% larger for added gear and elbow room.
It boasts a class V whitewater rating and 900 lb. capacity so it will handle anything you dare drop into.
The new Predator come equipped with Dave's radical new 100% carbon directional blade oars which give you 3 times the power of a standard oar at 1/3 of the weight. We weigh them in ounces not pounds. There is not another 100% carbon oar like it in the industry. It also comes with Dave's exclusive new carbon footrest bar system for extreme performance and weight savings.
Combine the extreme light weight of the new Predator with a longer sleeker running line and carbon oars and you have a rocket ship on water. The new Predator is fast. Really fast!
The Carbon Predator has set a new standard for one person pontoon craft performance… Just what you would expect from Dave Scadden!"

AND it's on sale, to boot! Regular $2200, on sale for $999

Old 10-14-2016   #2

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I expect to see a flotilla of them my next GC trip. I hope he sells them in yellow so from the sky walk it will look like a rubber ducky race. If there is one thing we know about him is he believes there is a sucker born every minute and the fact that he is still in business proves he is right.
Old 10-14-2016   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
rated @900 lbs? get out of here Dave, Class 5 my ass
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
As soon as I saw "Class V Rated" in the title, I knew what this was about...

I'm sure it would be great in all the "Class V" rapids on Browns (maybe).
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Funny, when I clicked on that link it kind of started to smell in here. I stopped the vid before the smell of bullshit filled the room. Windows open now, I will be ok.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #6

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Ok, we have been bagging on Scadden for a long time. But his boats are really good for fisherman and most recreational applications. He has tried to meet the needs of a certain market and its just not ours. And that's ok. He says "Class V Rated" and I'm sure his boat would hold for at least 1 drop through Hounds tooth on the NFP. I'd run it in a Scadden! I would totally recommend a Scadden to the Fly fisherman looking to get out on the river. That boat would be very capable on 80% of the runs in Idaho.

I think hes trying to raise the standard in his market, Just saying...
Old 10-14-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
No way would I run that POS thought a Class V. Also don't understand the use of SUP paddles for oars, the offset angle on the blades it to assist with blade angle when it enters the water. I don't understand what benefit it would give in this configurations. All I see that it would do would make your push stroke less effective.

Am i way off base here?
Old 10-14-2016   #8

Bazzaro, World
These boats look good to me. Sure they are not an AIRE, Maravia, or Sotar type boat. But nobody is saying that the Scadden is better that a Hyside are they? No, we all know that. But to put up a Scadden that can do some mild Vs against a Sotar is creating a strawman argument.

Its not the boat, its the captain and I would captain a Scadden in some but not all class V.

https://youtu.be/JT9BAEfPvis
Old 10-14-2016   #9

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
He says "Class V Rated" and I'm sure his boat would hold for at least 1 drop through Hounds tooth on the NFP.
haha, you are joking right? I'd put money on not right side up, and then likely not with oars or maybe even all inflated chambers. Coming in from above of course, not putting in there. If you don't get surfed and flip in one of the lead in holes, that sucker would flip when the tooth wave comes back over the rear of your tubes. Unless of course you have a perfect line in there. Which doesn't happen except when the moon is blue. POS, saying Class V is irresponsible.
Old 10-14-2016   #10

Beersheva, Israel
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Ok, we have been bagging on Scadden for a long time. But his boats are really good for fisherman and most recreational applications. He has tried to meet the needs of a certain market and its just not ours. And that's ok. He says "Class V Rated" and I'm sure his boat would hold for at least 1 drop through Hounds tooth on the NFP. I'd run it in a Scadden! I would totally recommend a Scadden to the Fly fisherman looking to get out on the river. That boat would be very capable on 80% of the runs in Idaho.

I think hes trying to raise the standard in his market, Just saying...

Devil's advocate here. From the videos and the website he's obviously directed to the fishing market, and I certainly agree that an experienced boater could get this down some tough water. But doesn't the fact that a 900 lb weight capacity and a class V rating in the primary advert inflate things in a bit of an irresponsible way? If I was rowing a boat this light in class V rapid I'd happily trade SUP paddles and the carbon fiber for proper oars and a little more weight.

I really don't know much about the market he's going for and dirtbagkayaker I like a lot of your posts, so not looking to stir shit here just interested in what you guys/gals think about the ethics of the marketing strategy.
j-jo-ber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class v