Unbelievable New Boat - Class V rated!!!! - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-17-2016   #31

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I think that most of the time, the folks buying his boats are just looking for something to use for fishing. Perhaps touting the boats as worthy of running class V rapids makes them seem more sturdy, or better made than other fishing craft of that type. Having seen his products up close, I would not say that they looked substantially better made than other brands. The problem comes when that one customer, who has no whitewater experience, sees that marketing and decides that the boat is safe to run class 3-5 rivers in search of primo fishing or excitement. Maybe they have fun, maybe they get hurt, maybe they get the poop scared out of them, or maybe they trash that super cool class V boat that they paid top dollar for????
Welcome back, I was wondering if we lost you! Any idea where avatard is?

As for these craft, IMO, not Many targeted buyers have any idea what class V is, they won't take them off lakes or SLOWLY moving water. If someone decided to test out the "rating", it'll just strengthen the gene pool. Right DBK?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Old 10-17-2016   #32

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Welcome back, I was wondering if we lost you! Any idea where avatard is?

As for these craft, IMO, not Many targeted buyers have any idea what class V is, they won't take them off lakes or SLOWLY moving water. If someone decided to test out the "rating", it'll just strengthen the gene pool. Right DBK?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I didn't do much rafting this summer. My raft was on the river for one overnighter and that was it. All of my rafting plans got messed up. Long, sad story. But I did take my Outcast mini cat on a couple class 1-2 weekend trips and I did a ton of flat water river and lake touring kayak trips. I just got back from a Potash to Spanish Bottom Colorado River 5 day kayak trip. The kayak touring thing has been a really nice change of pace. Super easy and relaxing.

The one and only (so far) time I've flipped in a rapid was taking my Outcast 10 foot mini cat down some class 3 as a beginner. I bought it for fishing but a friend took me to Alpine Canyon to show me something else fun I could do with that little boat. I was hooked, but it took that scary flip to make me realize the limitations of a boat meant for fishing. At least my mini cat has a real frame.
Old 10-18-2016   #33

Seattle, Washington
The main problem with Scadden is his outrageously inconsistent customer service. Search the WA Fly Fishing forum and read tomes of complaints. These are not minor complaints either: paid for boats not being delivered, failure to return calls/ email. Several folks have had to file lawsuits to get their $ back. My brother bought a Scadden boat a few years ago at a show. I warned him. Dave had promised him 1 week delivery. Months later after dozens of ignored emails/ calls it arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
No friggin way that Pineview Falls is a class V rapid...IMHO, its a middling class IV at best.
Around 3.8'+ I'd call it a IV, below that a III/III+. I feel the same way about Numbers - a IV at higher water, III/III+ at moderate/low flows. I'm not sure what the guide books say.

And I guess since I wouldn't paco it at high flows, in reality I wouldn't take a paco down anything harder than a III. I'm not going to let that stop me from calling my paco pad a class V whitewater craft though. It weighs less than 8lbs too.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016   #35

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Have you ever noticed that his boats have a no refund or all sales final policy for boats on sale and they are always on sale
Old 10-19-2016   #36

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1478@msn.com View Post
Have you ever noticed that his boats have a no refund or all sales final policy for boats on sale and they are always on sale
I patched one of his boats that a lady drug up on shore and created a chafe hole in it. The fabric was thinner than an old sealine dry bag. Light weight equates to very thin material.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class v