Unbelievable New Boat - Class V rated!!!! - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-17-2016   #21

Steamboat/Missoula/Moab, Colorado/Montana/Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
The "Class V rating" can't mean it's good to go on any Class V. No craft can handle all class V runs. I know class V's that rafts can't do, and class V's that kayaks can't, but rafts can.
BS, Where is there a rapid that is runnable in a raft and not in a kayak?

findellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #22

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by findellw View Post
BS, Where is there a rapid that is runnable in a raft and not in a kayak?
Middle fork of the American river. Ruck'a Chucky. The landing over the falls is too shallow for a kayak, with nasty boulders. Rafts can land in it, kayaks can't. No kayak has ever run it without being paralyzed or killed, but hundreds of rafts have (it's commercially rafted, though customers walk the rapid as their guides run it).

Note: I did hear a story of a kayak that ran it at high enough flow that opened another channel. I've never found a video or post to confirm it, but at normal flows, kayaks can't run it, and rafts can. At high enough flows, a rumor of it being runnable is the best I have heard/searched.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #23

Steamboat/Missoula/Moab, Colorado/Montana/Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Interesting. I stand corrected. However, r1ing and clinging to the floor until the boat hangs up on rock at the bottom (the preferred method according to dozens of youtube videos), is definitely more akin to beatering than really running it, which implies some level of cleanliness. Looks fun though.
findellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #24

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by findellw View Post
Interesting. I stand corrected. However, r1ing and clinging to the floor until the boat hangs up on rock at the bottom (the preferred method according to dozens of youtube videos), is definitely more akin to beatering than really running it, which implies some level of cleanliness. Looks fun though.
Is rafting any other drop much different? :P I have to assume similar circumstances exist elsewhere, but yeah, that's a pretty unusual situation.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #25

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
How many boats have you rowed that have a hole drilled in the middle of the oar..... and oar pivots on said bolt.......no oar lock necessary......pure genius.....got to be better than pins and clips....
Dan, I think you're onto something there. I wonder if he's already patented it?
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
@ jj I get the over statement in the sells pitches. Your right but I have boated a 9' Clark Fork from Cabelas down the Lower 5. Just saying. I don't think its ideal but Scadden are not complete shit. They are awesome fishing cats. And some of the best in their category. They are no Sotar.

@ Ihowmt, Let do this. Put your money where your mouth is. I'll run Hounds Tooth on the Lower 5 under 2500 cfs. You buy the boat and video it. If I come out wrong side up I'll buy the $999 scadden from you and then eat it with a fork! If I come out right side up. You eat the boat with a fork and I video it. Are you in? I have time this weekend.
There is a difference between running a rapid you're already familiar and comfortable with in a less than ideal craft, and that craft being suited to that difficulty of rapid. There are some class IV rapids I'd take my paco pad through, but I wouldn't say a paco pad "boasts a class IV whitewater rating" whatever the hell that means.

Since one of those IV's is Pine View on the Poudre, and IIRC the sign at BTO calls Pine View a V, maybe it means paco pads are class V rated?

I googled for some videos of Scadden boats running whitewater, and it looks like they're very capable of running class III. Those short little oars don't look like they produce much power, so you'd want to know the line you want to take and set up early for it.

They look like great fishing boats that can run reasonably difficult rapids. Since anyone who is capable of running class V would presumably be knowledgeable enough to be looking at whitewater specific boats, I wonder how much that so-called class V rating matters to his actual customers.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #27

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I think that most of the time, the folks buying his boats are just looking for something to use for fishing. Perhaps touting the boats as worthy of running class V rapids makes them seem more sturdy, or better made than other fishing craft of that type. Having seen his products up close, I would not say that they looked substantially better made than other brands. The problem comes when that one customer, who has no whitewater experience, sees that marketing and decides that the boat is safe to run class 3-5 rivers in search of primo fishing or excitement. Maybe they have fun, maybe they get hurt, maybe they get the poop scared out of them, or maybe they trash that super cool class V boat that they paid top dollar for????
Old 10-17-2016   #28

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Why doesn't he use his revolutionary paddles in the end of his video when hes fishing?
paddleskirepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #29

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy View Post
Since one of those IV's is Pine View on the Poudre, and IIRC the sign at BTO calls Pine View a V, maybe it means paco pads are class V rated?
No friggin way that Pineview Falls is a class V rapid in any other way then in a rafting company pamphlet to fake scare their customers into thinking they are EXTREME!!!! IMHO, its a middling class IV at best. If you want Class V you have to at least go further up canyon to the Narrows section.

I agree that calling these "rafts", which are essentially just fishing platforms, "class V" is nothing more then a marketing scheme.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #30

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Sharing a great deal on a class 5 raft with a big box trailer. Yes it can run class 5 rapids, with a good push from shore without people in it. I met Dave at Portland boat show, all sales bs
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class v