Unbelievable New Boat - Class V rated!!!! - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-14-2016   #11

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
@ jj I get the over statement in the sells pitches. Your right but I have boated a 9' Clark Fork from Cabelas down the Lower 5. Just saying. I don't think its ideal but Scadden are not complete shit. They are awesome fishing cats. And some of the best in their category. They are no Sotar.

@ Ihowmt, Let do this. Put your money where your mouth is. I'll run Hounds Tooth on the Lower 5 under 2500 cfs. You buy the boat and video it. If I come out wrong side up I'll buy the $999 scadden from you and then eat it with a fork! If I come out right side up. You eat the boat with a fork and I video it. Are you in? I have time this weekend.

Old 10-14-2016   #12

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
I dunno man, that thing looks like it was built by the Cylons. I'd keep my distance...
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #13

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
@ Ihowmt, Let do this. Put your money where your mouth is. I'll run Hounds Tooth on the Lower 5 under 2500 cfs. You buy the boat and video it. If I come out wrong side up I'll buy the $999 scadden from you and then eat it with a fork! If I come out right side up. You eat the boat with a fork and I video it. Are you in? I have time this weekend.
LOL, sorry, I have no interest in condoning buying such a boat, nor in engaging in a wager regarding it. Plus, Hounds is not technically on the Lower 5 sorry. The put in for the Lower 5 is below it. If you put in there (mid way through Hounds, above the tooth), you only get one section of the rapid. Entering and running there is WAY easier than running the entire thing. Putting in there is not running Hounds.
Old 10-14-2016   #14

There were two crafts like this on the Eagle last season during highwater. They went into the Edwards mile (III-IV) with waders. Both flipped, swam, lost oars, one guy was missing. Don't take these down anything big.
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #15

C. Springs, Colorado
How many boats have you rowed that have a hole drilled in the middle of the oar..... and oar pivots on said bolt.......no oar lock necessary......pure genius.....got to be better than pins and clips....
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #16

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
The boats in the "Pontoon boat playday" that you posted DBK at least had frames and the material has some thickness to it (still not as thick as a raft by Sotar, AIRE, Moravia, etc.). The oars used in that video are Sawyer SST's, which while they have a smaller 1 3/8" shaft than full size oarshafts/blades you'd find on a full size raft or cataraft, are at least appropriate for the craft with a carbon fiber/glass shafts and high quality blades. The seats resting on metal frames are a reasonable set up to put the cajones the oars to if needed to make a must move maneuver. They work.

I would pay to see a video of a guy taking one of these down Class V.
Old 10-14-2016   #17
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyCatr View Post
It boasts a class V whitewater rating and 900 lb. capacity so it will handle anything you dare drop into.
Where are the test results that substantiate the claim

I knew a lawyer that made a shitload of money off a case in which he sued Kawasaki over the claimed 150 pound rider weight on a 3 wheeler.

Somebody should go run some Vs in this thing so your widow can get rich.
Old 10-15-2016   #18

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Where are the test results that substantiate the claim

I knew a lawyer that made a shitload of money off a case in which he sued Kawasaki over the claimed 150 pound rider weight on a 3 wheeler.

Somebody should go run some Vs in this thing so your widow can get rich.
The "Class V rating" can't mean it's good to go on any Class V. No craft can handle all class V runs. I know class V's that rafts can't do, and class V's that kayaks can't, but rafts can. That said, I can't imagine doing a class V in that thing, and 900 lbs. has to be the point at which it sinks.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #19

Fort Collins
I don't see what you guys are talking about, the foot brace is held on by key ring caribiners, and the seat is the same kind you find on a recreational kayak. You could totally use them when pushing hard to crank on the 1 inch diameter oarshafts though anything. This boat is legit...

Just kidding, looks to me like it would break the 1st time you really needed to get it moving around an obstable.
Old 10-16-2016   #20

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
It looks like a Pack Raft and a pool toy had a baby. The glued on oarlocks will hold up to class V for sure. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Scadden and watching him in action at a Sportsman Outdoor show. Quite the salesman. After looking at his products up close, I'd fish from them.....maybe.

Tags
class v