Old 04-12-2014   #1
Park City, Utah
UHMW for Pins & Clips

My pins are getting chewed by the clips. Rather than going with PVC over the bolt, I was thinking about UHMW. Will the oar will pop off the pin more due to the self lube nature of UHMW? I guess I can close the clip a little bit. Curious what other peoples experiences are with a UHMW pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #2
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I have never used UHMW for pins and clips. I like the stainless steel sleeves that come on the Cascade pins and clips, as you said the NRS ones tend to get chewed up. I use Pins and Clips for big water and open oar locks in smaller technical water. Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: Thole Pin, (1) Maybe they could just sell you the sleeve better than switching out sleeves all the time because they are chewed up.

rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #3
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
I have used UHMW on my clips, they work great! I will be replacing them this season but they have 6 years on them and a lot of miles. The Cascade pins are not the same size as NRS (much smaller od) I had mine made in a machine shop. The od was a little larger than the 3/4 electrical conduit NRS provides. Nice fit makes them very quit & smooth. Delron works well also.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 93'
One thing that I was looking at to replace the pvc on my pins was ABS pipe instead of PVC. I have been told it is stronger by the people of Home Depot. Whatever you end up doing report back with your results becaue I too will be replaceing mine in the next season or so.
utrafter is offline   Reply With Quote