Old 07-14-2014   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Boatertalk sucks and is about as useful as a hole in the head.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Careful with the generalizations. Some of us actually responded to the specifics of his post, a legend and a wave destroyer; sotar and aire, not a canyon.
I saw the part about looking for a frame so I recommend to take a look at Canyon they are an Aire dealer so he could possibly buy a whole package. Why does it bother you who I recommend ?? Hope that clears that up. I was looking for a certain boat also before someone turned me on to Canyon frames so its nice to let people know all what is out there so they can shop and make informed decisions.

I highly recommend talking with actual manufacturers and use forum recommendations for a guideline

Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #13
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I just said to be easy with in the last paragraph. Nothing more...

FWIW, I recommend talking with people that use the products daily, whomever that may be. Typically manufacturers don't get to use their own products half as much as those that buy them...
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
No Cheryl at Sotar! That's a bummer. She's awesome and was a huge help to me last year. I wish her well, and hope she's doing ok with her health issues.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #15
s, Virginia
Awesome information and help, thanks a bunch I really appreciate it.
Machias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #16
s, Virginia
Originally Posted by dgoods View Post
For SOTAR it's worth the wait for their fall sale (20% off all boats...) during the first two weeks in October. Cheryl is no longer there (she was excellent), but Joe is and he is also very knowledgeable. I've been working with him on buying a set of legend tubes come this Oct. He'll send you pics of color schemes and fabric color samples if you want.

For AIRE they're more widely available. Towards the end of the boating season in the fall you should look on AIRE'S website for "Hot Sales". I bought a demo set of tubes from them at a pretty good deal a couple years back. If you don't buy direct from AIRE, I'd contact Dusty at DRL River Gypsies- he usually has lots of boats to choose from-new and used. He deals with SOTAR and AIRE, and sells frames, so you might find your "one stop shopping" with him. He also fabricates high clearance cat frames.

If not DRL, talk to AIRE and see if there are any AIRE or for that matter, SOTAR reps in your area and deal with them directly. Often times they can swing folks a good deal on boats.

Other frame options may include contacting Dave Nissan who makes Madcatr aluminum frames which are really nice. He's roughly a year out in making them, so if you're into his frame designs, act soon and don't expect it for a while. Ronnie McLay fabricates steel frames- PRE (Payette River Equipment) frames of which I use and like. He can customize anything you want and his turn around is 2-3 weeks depending on how busy he is. He's based out of Ontario, Oregon. Perhaps not as light or sexy as a Madcatr, but super tough and a good design.

Being that you're on the East coast, shipping all this stuff is gonna run into some cash unless you can somehow find another person around where you are and split motor freight costs... Boatertalk is another forum that seems to be more East Coastish-maybe put out a thread there to see if anyone is looking to throw down for new rigs.

Have fun getting your new rig!
Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions about cats...

Some great information, thank you!!
Old 07-14-2014   #17
bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Yeah no cheryl booo! I here shes a new grandmommy though i think im going to swing by sotar in a few days ill let you know whats in stock lol
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #18
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by mtrafter View Post
Yeah no cheryl booo! I here shes a new grandmommy though i think im going to swing by sotar in a few days ill let you know whats in stock lol
Get us the scoop on Cheryl too, she's pretty awesome. I've corresponded with her a few times on my boat.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #19
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I'll add another thumbs-up for Jack's inflatable boats, self bailing rafts, catarafts, pontoons, inflatable kayaks, dry bags, paco pads, spill containments, culvert plugs by Jack's Plastic Welding Inc.

Bought my first cat from Jack 25 years ago and now have four. no rips, no leaks, no worries. The one closest to your spec is this one:

Built the frame in my garage. Total weight (with floor, stands, locks, and seat) ended up at 47.5 lb.

Tubes are Jack's Cutthroat (12.5' x 16") with 4 dees per side. The oars are Gull 7-1/2 footers.

The oarstands are homebuilt. The scouting floor is a half-panel of PolyMax kennel floor. This one's about five years old, no trouble so far.

Jack's also sells a paddle frame (Fat Pack Cat) for the 16" tubes, which is nice for low water and narrow creeks. Two boats with one set of tubes. Here's the paddle frame—

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #20
s, Virginia
Thanks for sharing the photos!!