Tributary Vs Aire - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-01-2016   #1

Smithers, BC
Tributary Vs Aire

Looking for input on folks using Tributary rafts or IK's for a couple seasons vs standard Aire products on durability and quality of the trib product. Thanks

SF2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016   #2

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1986
Tribs are great design and great handling boats! One of the best bang for the buck for a private boater.
Don't forget to check out the welded PVC Rocky Mountain Rafts IKs, paddle cat, and rafts - i have rowed the 10.5', 13', and 14' rafts and they all perform extremely well!
Unca Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #3

Phoenix, Arizona
ps, South By Southwest Adventures uses the RMR Animas 1 IKs commercially on the Verde in Verde Valley AZ and they handle great and have held up well with no problems.

Verde Adventures uses 1 and 2 person Tributarys and they also have stood up well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
IKs
Unless things have changed the Trib IKs are still using the same Ferrari PVC that is used on the Aire IKs. IMO they are the best bang for the buck plus you get the inner bladder system.

Rafts
The new calendared material is not as durable as their Ferrari material but it is still very good and is still the best value for your money and you still get the inner bladder system.

In the affordable boat catagory, I would still purchase the Trib over any other. JMO
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF2016 View Post
Looking for input on folks using Tributary rafts or IK's for a couple seasons vs standard Aire products on durability and quality of the trib product. Thanks
Why only a couple of seasons?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #6
4Corners Riversports

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
We've been using both for years in our rental / demo fleets.

Tributary's are great for the price and do hold up very well considering the price point. They were using the same Ferrari fabric, but switched last year to the new HD fabric to stay competitive.

The Tomcats use Vinyl bladders (heavier / slightly less durable), whereas the Strike series, all Tributary rafts and all AIRE boats use Urethane bladders.

But you can't really beat the durability and 10 year no fault warranty of an AIRE, not to mention more color and design choices.

www.riversports.com / 1-800-426-7637
360 S. Camino Del Rio, Durango, CO
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #7

Phoenix, Arizona
Trib IK is my first choice, too - the newer material may not have the life of the earlier, but warranties have not changed and the upsized tube diameter gives best flotation for bigger paddlers (i am 6' and abt 200#)

On the Middle Fork Salmon this summer, comparing my 14' RMR and a good friend's 14' Tributary, RMR won potential toughness for the heavy duty PVC, but both rafts handled very well, ran big water with ease, carried equivalent loads, and held crossing lines about equally - only bumped or slithered a couple rocks and neither raft had any damage (we both chose good lines and didn't crash into any out-of-bounds rocks or walls).
Old 09-01-2016   #8

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Running my used tomcat in class III all the time. Haven't used aire but think highly of trips.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #9

Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
[QUOTE=ob1coby;444259]IKs
Unless things have changed the Trib IKs are still using the same Ferrari PVC that is used on the Aire IKs. IMO they are the best bang for the buck plus you get the inner bladder system.

I thought the entire Trib line switched over to the German made PVC?
Old 09-02-2016   #10

Truckee, California
Paddling Since: 2000
Go Aire.

Aire bladders are constructed better than the Tributaries. We have a couple of Tomcats in our institutional program and they are great boats, but we have been finding holes developing in the bladders along the seams. The urethane bladders in the Aires are constructed with an overlap seam so there is a continuous flat surface to accept the seam tape if a puncture or hole develops. The Trib bladders come together at a pinch (?) style seam that makes for a spot you can't tape up or patch easily. Aire repair folks suggest new bladders when this happens. Not the end of the world, but a bummer compared to a patch that is good to go.
And- Aire has the better boat shapes. Get a Lynx. Totally badass.

My 2c.
Daryl
Daryl T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire