Old 03-16-2015   #11
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Sounds like if I do this, I'll be using synthetic fluids .... often!

dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #12
Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by sammyphsyco View Post
Been a mechanic for over 20 years, just a few suggestions to consider. Add a transmission cooler, service your trans more often than recommended. Use synthetic fluid whenever you can. New fluid and filter is way cheaper than a new trans. When towing with a light vehicle keep it out of overdrive, especially when climbing grades. If your vehicle will pull the load solidly in overdrive you are ok, if it shifts up and down frequently get out of overdrive. Use synthetic fluid and change it often. Oh yeah use synthetic fluid and change it often. One more thing use synthetic fluid and change it often. If none of this is important to you just come see me when you smoke your trans that probably cost what your raft did. I will gladly trade you your nice higher end raft for a trans.
Listen to your mother....and your mechanic.

grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #13
I donít think we got a full picture of this one but Iíll throw out one last thought, donít just think about whatís possible to get away with, but whatís safe to do on the road. Especially the windy, hilly ones youíll be on here. If forbid something did happen and youíre towing with a vehicle not designed for it or over capacities of what itís designed to do, you are opening up yourself to all kinds of liability. Thatís why I was curious about the vehicle.

That said, those little HD harbor/northern tool trailers are pretty decent for the money. Or check craigslist for an old boat trailer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #14
San Juan Islands, Washington
Never had any problems

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #15
And you very well may be fine. That Subaru probably has a tow rating of a couple thousand pounds. You've got a long wheel base with a small trailer. I'm just saying to do the research. Heck, even my wife's CRV has a tow rating of 1500 pounds.

The OP said he wanted to be under 750 pounds total, which made me think it might be a very small car. The thing with improper towing is it's not only your life you are putting at risk. Just saying be careful, maybe I'm reading into it.

Or maybe I've just been spending too much time on truck forums, those guys will blast anyone on a dime if they aren't following best practices lol. I personally prefer to have the right tool for the job but I have multiple trailers/camper to tow.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015   #16
not that big of a deal, just don't be stupid with your driving.

a loaded raft does not weigh thousands of pounds. i drive a 98 4runner with an aluminum snowmobile trailer. i moved the axle back on the trailer 8". i pulled it with 4 cats on it last summer, not a long distance, but no issues.

any car bigger than a prius or the like will pull a raft on a trailer.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote