Mountain Buzz banner

Trailering your raft to the river

Tags
rafting
24K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  melted_ice 
#1 ·
I have talked to several people about using trailers, and everyone has a different opinion. Here is my question. How far will you trailer your raft inflated? Is it better to deflate it and use the trailer to haul your gear? Are there concerns about rubbing and chaffing if you keep your raft inflated? Ok, that is more than one question, but I am curious as to what everyone thinks.

thanks

#2 ·
I keep my raft inflated on the trailer all the time. I'd drive it inflated and trailered anywhere. My trailer isn't set up for gear hauling (yet!). I take it three hours to the San Juan trailered, or just about anywhere. I drive it up to Westwater on the trailer (4 or 5 hours). I haven't deflated my boat since I got it three years ago!

#5 ·
Keeping your boat inflatated on a trailer is easy and nice for your boat. Less rigging and cleaning up, and less boat folding. Just be sure that gravel dosn't get between the tubes and the trailer deck, and watch the pressure. A boat coming out of a cold river and then driven over a pass on a hot day could be trouble. If you do deflate your boat be sure to wrap it in a tarp so that it does not rub directly on the trailer. My tarp has several holes to prove this is a good idea. I usually deflate my boat on long trips to cut wind resistance while towing and share a ride. This is a picture of 9 people with 4 rafts, 3 frames, 4 Iks and gear for an 8 day trip carried by 1 pickup and a Toyota Matrix. It wasn't pretty, but it made sense last summer with fuel > $4/gal.

#7 ·
Some material types are more sensitive to this type of "strap wear". I know Sotar recommends being careful, and I'm not sure about the PVC brands but expect it might be similar. Hypalon is bombproof this way. for long inflated hauls (4-5 hrs), we'll put some padding between the straps (where they touch) and the boat. chafe pads under the frame cover that quite well.

Often they are deflated for space, if you have only one trailer, and 3-4 boats, deflating may be the best option.

#8 ·
I own a maravia so rolling it isn't really that easy. I've done it and I can fit it in the back of my SUV.....but I prefer trailering her inflated just about anywhere I go.

Did it once last year and will be doing it again in June.....15 hours one way to the MF and back.

I keep the frame off though to limit bouncing/rubbing. My trailer is set up so I have room for coolers, boxes, gear under the raft while it sits on side-mount truck boxes I threw on my utility trailer. Glued some cheapy carpet on top of the boxes. She rides nice.

#9 ·
20 hours over two days from Denver to Libby MT in '07, fully inflated and rigged. I prefer to drive fully inflated it rigged, even when I had to derig and roll for PRO to take to Lee's and back from Diamond on the Grand.

I like to have a pretty tight boat when its on the trailer so will pay attention to the inflation - I don't like looking in the rear view and seeing the boat bouncing up and down (against the lashing straps) on the trailer. Usually on trips to Westy by the time I get to Glenwood Canyon I'll take a break and top it off after the elevation drop makes it squishy.

-AH

#10 ·
I have a 15' NRS that I do not trailer for anything where someone else will be driving my rig (=shuttle service... not you CoPad) or a long highway trip. I roll the boat and strap the frame w/out the seat ontop of my rack. Mainly I just feel better about doing 85 without my favorite toy flapping in the wind.

#11 ·
Here's a few pics, one of my new trailer setup (like DanaDog's) and the way I used to roll with everything packed in the truck. Question is if I'm just doing a couple day trip and have the room in the truck do I want to be hauling my boat on a trailer down that racetrack known as I-70 the old Dodge doesn't go that fast to begin with. I worry about the boat, wind resistance, chaffing from straps and bottom rubbing also what about the added weight causing trouble pulling it up hills and what about that air pressure issue going over passes? I see where the trailer is great for doing runs on the Ark day after day or hauling more gear for multi-day trips but being new to the trailer thing what should I be cautious of?

Thanks

Attachments

#15 ·
You can't raft the South Platte
Assuming the reference is to the SP in Denver: You can most certainly raft from C-470 (South Metro Parks is the managing agency at the put-in) to below Confluence Park. The section from C-470 to Union Chutes is actually much more pleasant than one would think (just don't go in with high expectations) with herons, ducks, and enough vegetation to help you forget you're in an urban setting for much of the reach. There's one mandatory portage at Xcel's Zuni Power Plant where there's a low-head dam blocking the river. Hopefully that dam(n) will be removed with planned river restoration on the Zuni reach - the only section above the Metro outfall that hasn't been restored yet. The Corps of Engineers has done the pre-construction environmental clearance work and has the restoration plans on the shelf - we just need our elected leaders to push for the work to be done (about a $25M - $30M pricetag). It'd be good to get boater feedback on turning drop structures into whitewater features, etc.

Whether you'd actually WANT to raft the South Platte is another matter as the water quality declines significantly below the Englewood wastewater plant outfall and then goes downhill from there. The water quality improvements are envisioned for sometime in the future and will take a lot of public pressure on our leaders to make that happen.

Back to trailering rafts - Here's a photo of my boat en route to Flagstaff/GC after driving over Vail Pass in a March blizzard:

When I got to Flagstaff I just hit a carwash and washed it off.

#16 ·
Ran the urban South Platte in spring 2007 at 2500cfs in a cataraft and at that level everything is runnable including the Zuni power plant dam.

Would not recommend as an overnight, all the good camping under the bridges was taken!
Truely an urban adventure. And a carwash for the boats afterwards is a good idea!

#18 ·
I tried for the first time to trailer my raft to the put in - inflated it - drove to Glenwood Springs (85 Miles) could not get above 65 mph even on the flats ( 2002 Honda CRV ). Used more than 1/2 a tank of gas ( approximately 8 miles to the gallon). On the way home - rolled it up and put everything into the trailer - got close to 20 miles to the gallon. For me I will not be hauling the inflated boat around - unless it is just to do a Shoshone/Grizzly lap shuttle. Anything longer than 2 1/2 miles - it is getting deflated - rolled and put into the trailer.

Andrew

#19 ·
It seems to me that the difference between a cat and a SB is huge when it comes to trailering or not. My 14' cat has a 3 piece frame and takes a minimum of 24 straps for a basic rigging! A trailer makes all the difference. I realize that my case is extreme, but any cat set up is going to require double the amount of straps of your average SB. The "inflated raft sans frame" isn't really an option with a cat. I rigged my boat two weeks ago and won't derig until Oct.

#20 ·
Depends on how far you're driving. I live in Craig so yampa, ladore, westwater stuff like that I'll trailer my boat. Grands and Middleforks I'll de-rig but still take the trailer. Taken the trailer works well to because you can set your boat up on the trailer out of the way then take it to the ramp. Doen this on the Grand alot, set up at marble canyon lodge trailer your boat to the ramp. That way you can avoid Ranger Peggy and her little toadie. I have taken my boat inflated to the middlefork once on a kamakaze death run. Get of off graves at 8 in the morning friday drive strat through then launch on saturday.

#21 ·
I think that it might also have something to do with the power of your vehicle. As I said - my Honda CRV suffered pulling a sail behind me - if I have a more powerful vehicle that would not even blink, then perhaps I would reconsider. Where I live - I cannot leave my boat inflated, on the trailer. It would become re-distributed property faster than I could imagine. So I have to inflate it and rig it each time I go play, whether that is at the put in, or at home - is a matter of economics.

#23 ·
We just got our first raft, 14ft vanguard. I've been using a 10ft triton snowmobile trailer with outdoor carpet on it for transporting the raft inflated.

After cleaning and applying 303 to the boat we drove down to the Upper Colorado for a day trip. When we got there I noticed the boat was covered in dirt. All the dust from the dirt road stuck to the 303 covering the entire boat. Also found rocks/pebbles in the boat and on the trailer underneath the boat.

I have a tundra with plenty of room for boat and gear. I'm thinking it would be better to just deflate the boat. Seems like its more work to clean off the boat/trailer than it would be to just re-inflate the boat at the put it. Not to mention the time I would save driving without the trailer attached.
Is it going to wreck the boat if I roll it up or fold it in thirds to transport it? The boat is always stored indoors and inflated.
Any thoughts?

#24 ·
DRanged- I agree, I'm off to the Green in a week and I think I'll strapn the frame down to the trailer and roll up the boat and put it in the back off the pickup. Then inflate it at camp and trailer to river for put in. Shorter trips I'll leave the boat inflated on the trailer for now, I think.

#25 ·
I use my snowmobile tilt trailer with marine carpet and padding underlay. Love it for shuttling. Last year though heading to Westwater had a deer run out of the woodwork and blast my raft on the trailer....bummer.... ripped a big hole. ended up messing up the trip. so beware, poo happens

#26 ·
I trailer everywhere. I make absolutely certain that the trailer bed is free of rocks and sand before I pull my raft on. Living in Summit, there's a pass virtually everywhere I go, so yes I pay attention to the air pressure. Even coming back from the Upper C I have to let quite a bit of air out at Kremmling and the boat is stiff by the time I roll into Silverthorne.

I leave the frame on, I have a couple pieces of foam that I wedge between the frame and the boat for extra piece of mind regarding rubbing. They stay in there no problem. I do not deflate my raft for anything other than fall cleaning (Aire, so I have to unzip and check for pebbles between the bladder and the outer layer). My raft stays in the garage on the trailer year around, it's way more important to me than the brand new truck that pulls it! So my truck get's to stay outside! My raft is four years old now and looks practically brand new.

I do use the car wash, just keep the tip of the spray gun a ways from from the boat, some of those things are so powerful they are dangerous. Don't use soap, just rinse water, I use spot free at the end because it's a cleaner water.

#28 ·
When I had hypalon, it was because I was lazy. Now that I have urethane, it's both lazy and a hassle rolling. However, I am transporting my cat rolled this weekend since we don't want to take the trailer and have the boat un-secured outside the vehicle.

#29 ·
OK. Some good Ideas if not great!
I have a quick question. I opted out of a new truck to rebuild my 91' Toyota pickup, 4 cyl, not the most guts in the world but she can haul alot of weight.
Would you guys go with a utilitty trailer:

Cons: Higher ride, possible difficulty getting boat on, lots of air flowing under

Pros: more storage under the boat

Or a snowmobile trailer:

Pros: Light trailer, low profile, break neck trailer.

Cons: no storage except in the boat.

Id like to go with a fully rigged boat, after reading a post here, I guess a guy could rig on the trailer the night before then just go for it, thats really not a bad thought. I own a Maravia , so pending temps, she rolls different.

#30 · (Edited)
I keep my boat fully rigged on my trailer, travel with it that way for convenience and quick launching at the ramp.

You say your 4-cyl truck doesn't have tons of power. Why pull an extra 500 lbs of steel? If you get a heavy utility trailer you'll need more power. Don't let the tail wag the dog and make you want a bigger truck.

You've got room in the bed of the truck for extra stuff. If you've got a shell you've got all the storage you need. Load and rig before you leave home, drive to the put-in, launch in 5 minutes, then send the truck on shuttle while you finish rigging.

Here's a trip report I wrote back when I first got my aluminum snowmobile trailer in 2003. My Subaru now has about 260,000 miles on it and has since pulled my raft & trailer about 30,000 of those miles.

A boating buddy recently explained his big Ford Excursion this way: "95% of my driving needs could be met with a volkswagon beetle but I need something for the remaining 5%." I see so many otherwise ecologically-minded boaters driving big gas-guzzling SUVs or pick-up trucks to accomocate the boating lifestyle that I want to post my recent experience with an alternative setup. Here's a highway trip report of my first test-run with a recently acquired light-weight trailer and my Subaru station wagon.

Trip:

Denver to Ruby Ranch on the Green River south of Moab, float 3 days in Labyrinth Canyon, takeout at Mineral Bottom, Moab Daily run for splashy rapids, return to Denver. 950 miles total.

Equipment:

*Vehicle: 1994 Subaru Legacy Wagon, 2.2 Liter engine, 160K miles, 5-speed, rated towng capacity 1000 lbs w/o trailer brakes, 2000 w/ trailer brakes.

*Trailer: Converted aluminum 10' x 6'8" snowmobile trailer w/ 5/8" plywood decking & rollers across the back, approx 450 lbs unloaded, 8" wheels, 2400 lbs rated carriage capacity

*Boat & Gear: 13' SB raft w/ oar setup (inflated during transit), 2-person duckie (rolled during transit)

*Standard rafting gear - 120 qt cooler, camping gear, steel firepan, relatively spartan but more than adequate kitchen setup, Ecosafe groover setup, overpacked personal gear + contingency gear, overpacked food, boat was loaded level w/ gear while on trailer

*Thule roof box

*Personnel: 2 adults, 2 adolescent girls + small dog

The Subaru pulled the load beautifully, freeway speeds of generally 75 mph w/ no trouble, dropped to 55 - 60 mph (3rd gear) on major passes (Georgetown Hill, Vail Pass, Floyd Hill, etc.), could've done 70 easily if I'd wanted to tach it out. No trouble pulling load up the hairy road out of Mineral Bottom. Easily did 85 - 90 mph w/ gusty tailwinds coming east and noticed most significent drag w/ strong headwinds when I had to drop to 4th gear and drive about 65 - 70 mph (4000 rpm). No noticable engine temp difference from unloaded driving conditions. Usual milage for a similar trip w/out trailer and all the gear is about 25 mpg (mountain driving included), for this trip overall the milage was just over 20.5 mpg. Trailer was hitched the entire time.

We did 75% of our shopping & filled water jugs after going over the major mountain passes (City Market in Fruita). I think the Subaru could haul an inflated 16' boat w/ similar setup & load just as easily w/ out the roof box wind drag. With a boat rolled and gear on trailer, I expect to be able to haul an adequate load for a 1- 2 week river trip with the same car/trailer setup and a bigger boat.

#31 ·
I like to trailer when I'm going 100 miles or less. Long trips tend to rub me and the boat wrong.

I also have a small trailer that needs a home.
4 x 8 steel tilt trailer with raft board (2x10) on the side. Great for snowmobile, raft, dirt bike, and gear. Decked with pressure treated 2x6's. Just rewired lights and added LED side running lights. Wrapped length of wire from trailer to harness in flexible electrical conduit. Also soldered and shrink wrapped all connection points. Will be getting to wheel bearings sometime this weekend. Has a spare tire. Will post it in the gear swap sometime this weekend. PM me if interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.