Old 05-04-2009   #11
pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Here's a few pics, one of my new trailer setup (like DanaDog's) and the way I used to roll with everything packed in the truck. Question is if I'm just doing a couple day trip and have the room in the truck do I want to be hauling my boat on a trailer down that racetrack known as I-70 the old Dodge doesn't go that fast to begin with. I worry about the boat, wind resistance, chaffing from straps and bottom rubbing also what about the added weight causing trouble pulling it up hills and what about that air pressure issue going over passes? I see where the trailer is great for doing runs on the Ark day after day or hauling more gear for multi-day trips but being new to the trailer thing what should I be cautious of?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1354   Click image for larger version

Name:	truckraft.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1355  

class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #12
Deckers, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Class 3 where you down on the platte Sunday?

tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #13
pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
Class 3 where you down on the platte Sunday?
You can't raft the South Platte, so No, me the wife and the two black bastards weren't on the Platte sunday right?
class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #14
conifer, Colorado
Originally Posted by class 3 felon View Post
You can't raft the South Platte, so No, me the wife and the two black bastards weren't on the Platte sunday right?

You can't raft the Platte, are you talking Denver or Foxton?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #15
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You can't raft the South Platte
Assuming the reference is to the SP in Denver: You can most certainly raft from C-470 (South Metro Parks is the managing agency at the put-in) to below Confluence Park. The section from C-470 to Union Chutes is actually much more pleasant than one would think (just don't go in with high expectations) with herons, ducks, and enough vegetation to help you forget you're in an urban setting for much of the reach. There's one mandatory portage at Xcel's Zuni Power Plant where there's a low-head dam blocking the river. Hopefully that dam(n) will be removed with planned river restoration on the Zuni reach - the only section above the Metro outfall that hasn't been restored yet. The Corps of Engineers has done the pre-construction environmental clearance work and has the restoration plans on the shelf - we just need our elected leaders to push for the work to be done (about a $25M - $30M pricetag). It'd be good to get boater feedback on turning drop structures into whitewater features, etc.

Whether you'd actually WANT to raft the South Platte is another matter as the water quality declines significantly below the Englewood wastewater plant outfall and then goes downhill from there. The water quality improvements are envisioned for sometime in the future and will take a lot of public pressure on our leaders to make that happen.

Back to trailering rafts - Here's a photo of my boat en route to Flagstaff/GC after driving over Vail Pass in a March blizzard:

When I got to Flagstaff I just hit a carwash and washed it off.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #16
Ran the urban South Platte in spring 2007 at 2500cfs in a cataraft and at that level everything is runnable including the Zuni power plant dam.

Would not recommend as an overnight, all the good camping under the bridges was taken!
Truely an urban adventure. And a carwash for the boats afterwards is a good idea!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #17
San Juan Islands, Washington
Looks like I'm not the only one towing a trailer with a Subaru.
I'd rather use my trailer but I don't mind rolling my boat and putting it in the back of the car, the frame and oars go on the rack, and everything else fits in the back seat.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #18
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I tried for the first time to trailer my raft to the put in - inflated it - drove to Glenwood Springs (85 Miles) could not get above 65 mph even on the flats ( 2002 Honda CRV ). Used more than 1/2 a tank of gas ( approximately 8 miles to the gallon). On the way home - rolled it up and put everything into the trailer - got close to 20 miles to the gallon. For me I will not be hauling the inflated boat around - unless it is just to do a Shoshone/Grizzly lap shuttle. Anything longer than 2 1/2 miles - it is getting deflated - rolled and put into the trailer.

skyegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #19
Ridgway, Colorado
It seems to me that the difference between a cat and a SB is huge when it comes to trailering or not. My 14' cat has a 3 piece frame and takes a minimum of 24 straps for a basic rigging! A trailer makes all the difference. I realize that my case is extreme, but any cat set up is going to require double the amount of straps of your average SB. The "inflated raft sans frame" isn't really an option with a cat. I rigged my boat two weeks ago and won't derig until Oct.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009   #20
Craigamerica, -
Depends on how far you're driving. I live in Craig so yampa, ladore, westwater stuff like that I'll trailer my boat. Grands and Middleforks I'll de-rig but still take the trailer. Taken the trailer works well to because you can set your boat up on the trailer out of the way then take it to the ramp. Doen this on the Grand alot, set up at marble canyon lodge trailer your boat to the ramp. That way you can avoid Ranger Peggy and her little toadie. I have taken my boat inflated to the middlefork once on a kamakaze death run. Get of off graves at 8 in the morning friday drive strat through then launch on saturday.

sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote