Trailer worth restoring? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2016   #21

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXrafter View Post
Thanks Paul!

I'm a big believer in the iterative process. I'm sure once I end up with the perfect trailer I'll want a different boat.

cheers,
Justin
The iterative process summs up many of our journeys with trailers. When you look for another I highly suggest buying something that started its life at a reputable factory. There are those that make bomber trailers at home but the vast majority of home made trailers are not worth your time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #22

Portland, Oregon
Yeah that seems to be what I'm finding out. This go round I may just have to be more selective as my budget is in the $500 range.
PDXrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #23

Post Falls, Idaho
Post some links up on this thread of prospective trailers and see what the buzzards think. Might save some grief in the future.

Old 08-01-2016   #24

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXrafter View Post
...To whoever said they doubt my ability to restore the trailer. Why do you post stuff like that? You don't know anything about my abilities, you only know that I don't specialize in trailer axles.
I understood his point... if you don't know what kind of axle the trailer has, I too am skeptical of your ability to DIY repairs. It simply implies inexperience and we don't need any more questionably built hunks of metal hurtling down our highways. Maybe your a hell of a welder, but you came onto a forum and asked a group of pretty basic questions so my guess is not likely. Nothing personal meant, I'm sure.

As far as the original question goes, it also looks fairly rusty... you might think about poking around some of those rust spots and see how bad they are. If it's just surface flaking you may be ok, but if it's rusting from the inside out it might turn into a death trap for some other motorist.

On the axle discussion - I'm guessing this is roughly what you have...

It's an offset axle meant to be used with leaf springs mounted directly to the frame. Probably for some sort of non-highway use or by someone that shouldn't have been DIY'ing shit.

At first glance a torsion axle might look similar but the arms would move when weight is applied (plus other less obvious details). They do make torsion axles in all kinds of configurations, but if that is actually one on that trailer, It would likely be upside down.

Old 08-01-2016   #25

Portland, Oregon
That's helpful about the axle. Thanks. Would the axle be worth using if some leaf springs were put on as mentioned earlier?

To the other point, probably not worth getting into. The last thing the world needs is another forum thread with misunderstandings. No skin lost.
Old 08-01-2016   #26

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't know on the axle - it's hard telling from this distance. On the one hand if it's solid and the rust isn't problematic it might be. On the other, it's been welded directly to the trailer frame. Removing it could weaken it and the trailer frame to some degree. I'd take it to a reputable welder, if they're willing to work on it then get some springs under it and clean up what ever else you had in mind. If not, I'd junk it or sell it as a non-highway trailer.
Old 08-01-2016   #27

Post Falls, Idaho
FYI axle assemblies complete with Springs are cheaper than one might think. It might make more sense to buy an assembly and paying labor just to have someone weld on the spring hangers. But honestly I'd sell that for whatever you can and start over. It's just too easy to create negative equity with an old trailer with major issues. If someone was willing to weld the axle solid what else....

Old 08-01-2016   #28

Portland, Oregon
Yep. All good points. Thanks for helping sort it out!

I might tow a load around to see what it feels like with weight so I know going forward. Like I said, it towed really nicely on the way home, but it was without weight.
Old 08-16-2016   #29

Denver, Colorado
Timbren

You might check out Timbren axle-less suspension. Haven't used them but it seems like a possible solution for you.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote