Trailer worth restoring? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2016   #11

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Or maybe not flip it and just underhang the springs. That is probably it's intended use looking closer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mountain Buzz mobile app

GnarCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #12

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Definitely not a torsion suspension. Looks like some kind of offset axle that's welded solid to the trailer. As GnarCreek's saying, your looking at a bounce machine. There are bolt on or weld on suspensions out there. etrailer.com is a good place to look.
Old 08-01-2016   #13

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Also, it does look like someone's homemade project. You probably want to check all welds.
Old 08-01-2016   #14

Craigamerica, -
Trailer is a pile of shit cut your loses and buy a better trailer. The axle looks like maybe a old straight axle from a car that they welded up. The Harbor Frieght trailer in your first picture isn't much better. You can build all kinds of cool stuff on it but at the end of the day you have a trailer built using cheap chinese parts with bad wheel bearings and axle..
Old 08-01-2016   #15

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhooligan View Post
Trailer is a pile of shit cut your loses and buy a better trailer. The axle looks like maybe a old straight axle from a car that they welded up. The Harbor Frieght trailer in your first picture isn't much better. You can build all kinds of cool stuff on it but at the end of the day you have a trailer built using cheap chinese parts with bad wheel bearings and axle..
I second this the Harbor Freight trailers are utter crap. They may not cost much but they take many hours to put together and you still have a very poor quality trailer. I am finished putting my HF trailer together and I think it would have been faster and much better quality to just weld a trailer frame from scratch. The HF trailer are fine if you just plan on using it to haul things across town. But I am very hesitant to use mine for long trips and on bumpy dirt roads.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #16

Westminster, Colorado
That is most definitely a trailer axle. Look a little closer on the axle. There should be an ID tag with the load rating and manufacturer. If it says Dexter on it, than i think it is worth saving. If not I would scrap it. From the picture I'd say it's a 2000 lb axle.

Old 08-01-2016   #17

Westminster, Colorado
I'm an optimist and I like salvaging what can be salvaged. That said I also do my own work and enjoy it so it saves some money.

Old 08-01-2016   #18

Portland, Oregon
Thanks guys for all the responses.

I think I'll clean it up, put some good sides on it, get rid of that awful angle iron install PT floor and sell it as an around town utility trailer and get something with springs. I'll probably take a loss but lesson learned. I paid $400 for it so hopefully I can get most of that back.

To whoever said they doubt my ability to restore the trailer. Why do you post stuff like that? You don't know anything about my abilities, you only know that I don't specialize in trailer axles.
PDXrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #19

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXrafter View Post
Thanks guys for all the responses.

I think I'll clean it up, put some good sides on it, get rid of that awful angle iron install PT floor and sell it as an around town utility trailer and get something with springs. I'll probably take a loss but lesson learned. I paid $400 for it so hopefully I can get most of that back.

To whoever said they doubt my ability to restore the trailer. Why do you post stuff like that? You don't know anything about my abilities, you only know that I don't specialize in trailer axles.
We're glad to have you here, and we all mean well (mostly). Best of luck with the project, you're not the first to end up with someone else's mess. I've been there also with a trailer, so many of them were complete junk from day one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #20

Portland, Oregon
Thanks Paul!

I'm a big believer in the iterative process. I'm sure once I end up with the perfect trailer I'll want a different boat.

cheers,
Justin
PDXrafter is offline   Reply With Quote