Trailer Winch Suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2016   #1

verdi, Nevada
Paddling Since: 100
Trailer Winch Suggestions

Hi looking for thoughts on what works well and what doesn't in terms of actual winches, ... not loading techniques.

I read through the "What type Winch for Trailer" thread and found a little on that but much more discussion of how to rig up the straps etc.

Has anyone used electric ATV winches? What lb. capacity?

Experience with manual winches? What lb. capacity?
braking? 2 speed?

Brands?
Brand name vs Harbor Freight?

Slamjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Good topic.

In addition to actual winch suggestions, I'd also love to hear feedback on winch mounting height.

I need to rig a winch for a higher deck.

My deck is about 40" above pavement, but I think what's relevant is how much above deck height the tower should be.

I'd like to do a receiver tube on the tongue, that can take a winch post , or put something else their like a bike rack as this is a multi use trailer.

Thread Jack complete!

Let's hear about a good light weight winch.

Maybe one that also attaches with a receiver tube that can be moved to the truck bumper for other uses...

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #3

Salida, Colorado
2500# hand crank, 2 gears. with 2" nylon webbing, got mine at Murdoch's after Will at Ark welding recommended it. It's a beast.
Old 05-21-2016   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
#2000 with 2" nylon strap from Bass Pro, even got it at an fordable price. Avoid the cable options, and go with the webbing. Does great winching 14' gear boat if I lighten it up some first, and rig the rope under the boat as shown in the other threads you looked up. My winch is prolly 3' or so above the trailer deck, which seems a good Hite.
Old 05-21-2016   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Winches are pretty simple- and our boats tend to be relatively light. Just about any winch will work fine. I definitely recommend a strap instead of a cable.

To ensure my winch would work- I loaded my boat and then fabbed a template out of cardboard and duct tape. I wanted to have it mounted to the forward/center spare tire mount that my utility trailer came with. So- a plate to mount it, 45 degree angle forward to gain height and clearance in front of the raft (gotta be sure you can rotate the handle and not hit the raft), another 45 degree bend and a flat plate to mount the winch on top of. This arrangement was about $70 at a local welder- works great. Hit me up if you have one of those spare tire mounts up front- I'll take some pics for ya.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I second the 2 speed hand winch. I also got it at Murdochs. A electric one would be sweet for a semi loaded boat or more likely a steep boat ramp.
Sbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #7

verdi, Nevada
Paddling Since: 100
My concern with the 2 speed hand winch is how long it will take me to haul that thing up onto the trailer. Seems like many of the ramp situations are less than perfect like clay hills, where I really can't float it on at all and I have to winch the full length of the boat onto to the trailer. Im picturing spending a long time cranking with gear ratios like 15:1 on the low gear. but maybe the higher gears would work for most of the distance...My goal is to really not have to lighten up the boat. steep imperfect ramp, loaded multi-day rig, seems like I'm gonna need a heavy winch. I would rather do an manual winch just for cost and simplicity, but wondering if that will set me up for a huge cranking job every time.
Slamjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
A fiberglass boat weighs at least 1500 lbs. If you can row a rigged boat, you can crank a single speed winch on an inflatable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016   #9

Salida, Colorado
Cranked a full loaded 16' River cat out of Whitewater on the Gunnison no problem with low gear.
Old 05-22-2016   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Another benefit to a hand winch is that you will feel it if it is getting hung up on something, where the power winch would just keep going and do damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote