Old 03-01-2015   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Trailer winch post / mount

Anyone know where to get a winch post that you can mount a winch directly on top of the post without all the extra speed boat nonsense that most of them come with? Preferably a vertical post as well. I've seen them on other trailers but can't seem to find one.

whiskey_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #2
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Heres a good resource... they have some good trailer starters too: supplies high quality tools and equipment at low, discount prices. from Northern Tool + Equipment
Cant say I actually found the winch you are describing, other then a portable one that wraps around a tree....

:edit: unless these hand crank wenches fit the bill....

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #3
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I had one made at a local welder. Made a cardboard template and brought it to him. Painted it with some Rustoleum. Got just what I wanted- works great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #4
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Whiskey I went through the same. My buddy Dave did find one at Harbor Freight a few years back, but ultimately I went to scrapyard and got some metal and had one made at a weld shop. I used 4" aluminum square tube and a base. Total cost around $80.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #5
Haven't gotten anything from them, but have been thinking about a winch system as well.
whiteh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #6
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll probably need to get one made or buy a post and modify it.
whiskey_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #7
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Our 5' x 12' cat trailer is a modified utility trailer with 15'' high sides that I installed side boards on for the cat tubes to sit on. I bought one of the $35 winches with the nylon strap (instead of steel cable) and took the trailer down to a local welder in our 'hood. He had enough scrap material laying around to fabricate a support for the winch and welded it all to the trailer. The best upgrade to the trailer we ever made. I then had him cut the ramp type tailgate down to the height of the sides and he fabricated a roller from some heavy gauge steel pipe. With the 3500 lb axle this thing has, it will haul a lot of gear under the rigged cat.
tmacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #8
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Only suggestion I'd have is to not weld it to your trailer. Spend a few extra dollars to have your fabricator make a bolt on plate, either with u-bolts or two plates and bolts. You may change your rig over time and the balance will likely change, being able to adjust the winch mounts location can be very handy. Just a thought...
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #9
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Yeah. Good point. I should clarify that the winch bolts to the mount that was welded to the trailer. I'll take a photo in the next few days when I get down to the storage unit where we keep it.
tmacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #10
winch stand

I bought a winch stand from, search for cs smith winch stand, $36, 30" tall. Should just bolt on to your trailer if the specs match. Add strap winch and you're done, cheap. I haven't mounted mine yet though

ds is offline   Reply With Quote