Old 08-06-2014   #11
Dillon, Colorado
Some more food for thought... Smaller wheels means faster RPMs than a larger tire. More revolutions means quicker wear. You see those snowmobile flatbed trailers with the ultra tiny tires and its a given that the bearings and wheels will wear out much faster. I'd say go bigger for travelling longer distances, if you're just taking it locally then its matters less.

SROB34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #12
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by VandyIn541 View Post
I have this exact trailer(7'x12') and love it. I ordered it with a winch and back roller and it makes for easy loading and unloading. I'm currently en route to the main salmon and have driven it 600+ miles at freeway speed with two boats worth of gear on it and it's handled it great so far (knock on wood). It has the 13" tires and has bounced down gravel roads and rocky boat ramps without a problem. Definitely worth checking them out.
That's the configuration I was looking at. Thanks for all the replies.

Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Quality trailer tire=oxymoron

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #14
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tire Size

I have been running a Triton trailer (8'x10') snow mobile trailer for years now. I have the smaller standard tire. I have always wanted bigger tires as the smaller one tend to have issues with the concrete drop off at the put in. Mostly getting back up and over the drop off. Either way this issue has cause a very minor inconvenience over the years. Think it's more important to just get a solid unit overall.
beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #15
TV, Idaho
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Those look like great raft trailers! How much do those run? Do you know how much they weigh?

I bought a somewhat similar trailer called The Whitewater from C&B Trailers. I almost got the 7x12 but opted for a 7x14 in the end. I have a 14' raft, and I am so grateful that I went with the longer deck. I can easily fit my raft and my dual sport bike on there as a shuttle.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #16
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Bigger tires. Not only would they rotate fewer times and therefore theoretically reducing wear and tear, they just ride a whole lot smoother over bumps in the road. Difference is night and day IMO.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #17
Craigamerica, -
Another thing to look at is does the 15 version have a heavier load capacity. If it does I'd go with the 15. Our trailer has 13 and is ok with one loaded boat or two unloaded boat but more then that its no good. One of the few upgrades Id like to do is a heavier axle with bigger tires.
sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #18
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
15 no question. Better in ruts potholes rocks.You can put car tires on a trailer with no issues. When my trailer needs tires I go to a tire shop and get a good deal on used 15s. Smaller tires burn up A LOT faster.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #19
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Trailer Tire Size

I agree with the 15" tires suggestions. I towed a 12' Triton for several years on thousands of miles of roads with my cat and gear and went through tires every year. On a MF trip I drove from Colorado to Idaho and had two blown tires on the way there. After that I researched and ordered the best ones available, can't remember the specifics, and still wore them out yearly (13").

15" car tires with maximum ply sidewalls would have to work better than what I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #20
Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
Just a quick follow up. I just got back from our Salmon trip. Over 2200 miles round trip, no issues with the trailer or tires hauling two boats stacked on top of each other at freeway speeds.

Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post

VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote