Trailer speed poll - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2016   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Trailer speed poll

I know there are a ton of variables but I'm wondering what folks consider top speed for trailering a fully loaded (all gear, rubber, frame, etc) trailer on paved highway.

A few other specs:

Single axle trailer
Fully capable towing vehicle (truck/suv/etc)
~17" (full-size tires)

let the buzz begin....

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #2

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I drag mine 80 to 85 mph. If it can't take it, it can't stay. Old West Virginia saying.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #3

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
35 mph zone 42 mph
45 mph zone 52 mph
55 mph zone 64 mph
65 mph zone 75 mph
75 mph zone 83 mph
80 mph zone 87 mph.

With good tow rig and a trailer with 17 inch rims I'd go as fast as ya feel comfortable, unless you are double stacking.
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #4

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Not stating it to win the pissing contest, but I think my top trailer speed is somewhere in the low 90's. Trailer weight and road condition are my biggest decision points on speed.

I like Mattchu's scale tho. I try to avg about 5-7 mph over speed limit. It's the times you don't pay attention that Mr(or Mrs) PoPo get you. ....And it's really easy to be buzzing along at 85mph feeling like 55mph in today's cars that have car/engine noise minimized so well.
Old 08-01-2016   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Are they trailer tires or LT tires? Trailer tires do not handle the heat build up as well. I pull my 14" at 75mph but will be soon to replace with a better tire. Also fine print on trailer tires state they basically expire in 4yrs regardless of miles or tread wear. I deal with this almost every week as an adjuster handling RV claims. Many RV shops are sourcing LT tires for trailers when customers are pissed that a tire blow out caused 5k to 10k worth of damage to their fifth wheel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've got the little bitty tires, usually drive about 75 - 85 with the loaded trailer on the interstate depending on the speed limit, I lube the bearings every 600 - 1000 miles. I wouldn't normally drive over those speeds without the trailer. This topic has been discussed a few times before and you could probably do a search on it to supplement responses you get here.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #7

OC, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Everyone here is right on... Go as fast as you want to go...
OCFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got 15" rims and tires on my trailer... I go as fast as I feel like it. (drive like normal) mine trails just fine behind me. I do have brakes on my trailer, so stopping is not much of an issue.
Old 08-01-2016   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I'm never in a hurry, 65 gets me there every time and drives my passengers nuts every time I get passed. I also never get asked to take the wheel for a while when it is not my vehicle and have plenty of volunteers to spell me for a while.
Old 08-01-2016   #10

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1478@msn.com View Post
I'm never in a hurry, 65 gets me there every time and drives my passengers nuts every time I get passed. I also never get asked to take the wheel for a while when it is not my vehicle and have plenty of volunteers to spell me for a while.
Interesting. I'll roll at 82-83 in an 80mph zone and will make up 5 hours during a round trip to the Salmon on you.

Granted - we're not comparing apples to apples since you can't AVERAGE 83mph the whole way but still - the difference between keeping the vehicle at or below 65 and closer to the speed limit is actually a difference of many hours over the trip.

I digress - but it should be noted that most hwy accidents come from DIFFERENTIAL in speed not overall excesss or low speed travel.