Trailer speed poll - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2016   #11

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
65mph in Montana is a death wish, IMHO I'd have to go to Tractor Supply and get one of those orange triangles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #12

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
Interesting. I'll roll at 82-83 in an 80mph zone and will make up 5 hours during a round trip to the Salmon on you.

I digress - but it should be noted that most hwy accidents come from DIFFERENTIAL in speed not overall excesss or low speed travel.
I could not find any data to back up your claim, but did find this.

Fatality Facts

Deaths by crash type and state, 2014 of deaths single car accident
Colorado 60% of deaths single car accident
Wyoming 60% of deaths single car accident
Montana 70% of deaths single car accident
Utah 55% of deaths single car accident
Idaho 68% of deaths single car accident

Estimated number and percent of fatally injured passenger vehicle drivers with BAC ≥ 0.08 percent by state, 2014
Colorado 32%
Wyoming 43%
Montana 49%
Utah 18%
Idaho does not keep track
I always suspected the major cause of highway accidents is Cell phone use, texting and alcohol.
Old 08-01-2016   #13

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not quite sure what your statistics have to do with this thread whatsoever. But my initial claim is based on math - not statistics

I also wasn't referring to fatalities but rather safe trailering.

To my second point below is a reference to 1999 Parker Study in which data determined that speed differential was a major contributing factor to accidents.

“Speed differential is a big problem
Following on from the Parker Study, it's been observed time and again that it's the speed differential that is the problem. If you put the speed limit at 100km/h when most people are doing 120km/h, the differential between law-abiding drivers and everyone else is 20km/h. If you raise the limit to 110km/h, the faster drivers don't go even faster - they tend to stay around 120km/h - but now the law-abiding drivers are doing 110km/h, reducing the speed differential to 10km/h. This has be proven in plenty of places around the world. For example vast stretches of I-15 between Utah and Arizona had the limit raised from 70mph to 80mph and the crash, injury and fatality figures fell noticeably.”

Here’s another reference to some data demonstrating that speed differentials is really the issue.

http://www.ooida.com/IssuesActions/I...ed-Limiter.pdf
Old 08-02-2016   #14
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Not quite sure what those statistics have to do with your original thread.
But that does seem reasonable. Speed limits in my opinion, seem to have more to do with revenue generation then public safety.

As far pulling trailers, I think it is a mix of several variables, some major ones being road conditions and driver experience/ condition of driver. I tend to be a lead foot, including pulling a trailer, but I've been pulling trailers a long time, and know my personal limits, and I stay with in them. Pulling a trailer increases your stopping distance, and it is probly best for drivers new to pulling a trailer to slow down a bit, due to this.

My ten cents.
Old 08-02-2016   #15

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I've never liked the split speed limit in Montana - that differential can get scary at times. On two lane roads it effectively limits traffic to the lower limit while increasing stupid passing. I'd love to hear MDT's rationale for maintaining the truck speed limit.

I drive a lot in Wyoming and traffic rolls sooo much more smoothly. I literally relax when I cross the border. I wonder how many single car crashes relate to faster traffic over correcting while encountering or passing slower traffic? Probably a lot more than occur directly between a faster and slower vehicle - hence potentially skewed statistics.

We just had a fello die locally while passing (he was not going over the speed limit apparently while passing) - encountered an oncoming vehicle and over corrected - multiple roll over. That was considered a single car crash, even though it really involved three.
Old 08-02-2016   #16

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
That's good info Read N Run. That is what I was trying to find. The fact that in the states I posted the majority of Deaths were single car accidents made me think speed differential was not that big of a factor.