Trailer Setup Report
As promised here's a rundown of how this weekend's trailer mods (around here we call those Bubba Mods) turned out; not because I have anything earth shattering to tell anyone here but because 1. I appreciate the rapid and helpful answers to my questions, 2. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out and 3. well, I promised. It's a 6x14 homemade pipe top single axle utility trailer. I swapped a buddy another trailer for it. Still needs BBs, tires and lights to be bomber but I can do that stuff in my sleep. The boat is a 14' Trib I bought new from Mr. Arbach at The Boat People. Can't brag enough on him but I digress.
I attached three carpeted 2x8x8s across the top with 1/4" carriage bolts, 1 1/4" two hole conduit straps and nylock nuts. The decision to use eight foot boards was primarily one of convenience as my local marine store carries twelve foot rolls of carpet. However, in this case it appeared that 2x12 did not equal 24 because I came up considerably short on carpet. No biggie as they'll make it right, but that development gave me pause to wonder whether I really needed eight foot boards. I ultimately decided I did not and will cut them off later (I did have the uncharacteristic foresight to staple the carpet on such that I could easily do this).
For the roller I drilled two holes in a large dowel, sleeved it in PVC and secured to existing brackets on the end of the trailer with large hitch pins. This seemed like a great idea at the time but in retrospect was really stupid. It's shorter than the raft is wide which means the tubes would slide over the tops of the pins if the roller were used in its current configuration. This will be easily solved by doing what Osseous told me to do in the first place. Next weekend!
Otherwise I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. I completed the mods first then rolled the deflated boat out on the new bunks and inflated slowly taking care to keep the floor off the trailer floor. Once the boat was inflated I moved the bunks until they were where I wanted them and snugged down the nuts. I found the raft slides very easily on the bunks and there is still ample room on the trailer for gear, kayaks, unruly children etc. Here are a couple of pics. BTW, the boat is nowhere near fully inflated.