Mountain Buzz banner

Trailer boards, what sealant to use?

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  swiftwater15 
#1 ·
I am going to be resealing the boards on my new(used) trailer. the guy at Lowes told me Thompsons water seal, What do you guys use?

Thanks

#2 ·
Thompson's water seal is junk do not use it. I Used spar varathane, something similar will work, I have had good results with spar varnish. I put Thompson's on my deck and you could not even tell after one winter it was useless and I re did it with behr much better and cheaper than varathane urethane option for the trailer. Varathane urethane for side rails.

#4 ·
I used a Rust-Oleum product called Deck Restore. It was a new deck when I applied it but I've been happy with it and it has held up the last year very well. Granted my boat doesn't sit on the deck boards so I didn't want something that was slick and I wasn't concerned with the abbasive properties of the product as my rubber would never make contact with it. I like the rough texture and am glad it provides additional traction in wet conditions for walking on. If you're going to be sliding your raft over this stuff, I'd recommend looking elsewhere though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.