Old 08-03-2014   #31
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Flex was my concern when I built it- but thankfully, it does not. No flex, no binding at all. 15' Maravia Zephyr lightly loaded (so far).

Cataraftgirl- just be certain of your clearance for your winch handle- in front of your boat and above your jack handle when you begin to crank. I built a cardboard template and taped it to the spare tire mount to get it just right. Once I had that, the welder bent two 45s in the plate and cut some supports to beef it up. He drilled it for me as well- so it was a bolt on when I got home.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I think I'll start with the roller and maybe the longer tongue and see how that goes.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #32
TV, Idaho
Originally Posted by BoscoBoater View Post
What is that frame thing with wheels?

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #33
TV, Idaho
Originally Posted by Meichorn View Post
Looking to get a trailer for my 14' raft. How are people's experiences with tilt deck snowmobile style trailers? Do the bearing/wheels hold up on lots of highway miles?
The other thing to watch out for with snowmobile trailers are sharp edges. Lots of them have a piece of angle iron sticking up for the side rails. They often have the plates that stick up for locking down skis. In general they are made with lots of angle iron, c-channel, and I beams. All of which can be much more problematic when it comes to rounding corners than fully boxed frames. A sharp corner on a piece of angle iron would shred your boat with the slightest slip up.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #34
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
I use a Haul Rite 8x10 tilt deck. It is aluminum with sealed LED lights all around and pressure treated ply deck. The fat wheels have never been an issue and I think it rides better with the torsion axle than trailers with leaf springs. It also has the ez lube axle that I can add grease to. Full bearing repack with new seals cost $20 and can be done in 1.5 hr. I don't agree that tilt is worthless, as I can drive wheels close to waters edge, pull the pin and tilt the deck, attach the loading strap and pull the whole rig up and onto the trailer by myself. From there, I can drive up the ramp and finish derigging up top. Stake pockets could be welded on If I wanted to use it as a cargo trailer (already have a Wells Cargo Box). It can haul snowmobiles and ATV's and is very versatile. The price was right on CL for $1000. I still have the baby harbor freight 4x8. It has has the 5.7 4 lug wheels on it. Done plenty of miles in the last 10 years and cost all of $200.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #35
Originally Posted by M3mphis View Post
What is that frame thing with wheels?
It's a frame thing with wheels........

I use it to move my boats in places where I can't get the car and trailer to the put in or take out. Or really, any time I want to move the boats around by myself.

Like here at the Hudson River take out that the rafting companies use..

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #36
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Nice - I'd add a push or pull bar could be inserted to move it around or when you need to lift the wheels (front or rear) to get over something.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #37
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I think there is lots of great info on this thread, I totally agree that Cataraftgirl could have the tongue extended... For FWIW, I was thinking along the very simple/cheap fix, potentially even DIY so wasn't thinking welders, sleeving, etc. Just drill 4 holes, add bolts and extend the wires.

Extending that tongue should probably be left to the pro's (though one could do it themselves.) Good luck with with the projects!

Paul7, Love that extender, simple, effective and removeable - ingenious!

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote