Old 10-27-2013   #22
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
Thats the Frame for the Blue NRS boat.

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #23
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I had a tacoma and recently upgraded to a tundra crew max. I loved my tacoma but with a wife and three kids it was getting a little tight. The mpg on it sucked at about 17 avg. I like the F150 but its by no means a toyota. I cant justify buying a big truck and a gas car because if you do the math you would have to put about 50k miles on the truck before you spent the money in gas that you would have spent on the car. If you are stuck on the Ford then I would go with that. It seems that you want the best of both worlds and that is going to be hard to do.
bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #24
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You should buy my rig, '99 Silverado 1500. It pulls like a dream, last time I pulled with it was a 5 stack of rafts, and all the accompanying gear...
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #25
If you can find one I recommend a 7.3 diesel ford excursion. I have one, it will pull most anything you want, has seating for 8, gets about 18mpg on highway, and will go forever. If you can find one you should look to pay somewhere between $10-15000 depending on condition of the vehicle. Plus they are just awesome. Avoid a 6.0, just saying.
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #26
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by studytime View Post
My Old Subarau.

I think you might be over the rack capacity I see you had an XT, that is a sweet engine. When you switch over to a diesel Excursion, you really are dealing with a different animal. You can apply that to any 3/4-1 ton truck vehicle with a diesel engine. Yes, your mileage increases, but so does fuel per gallon costs and maintenance. Once you start factoring in the cost of an oil change, fuel filters, and the initial engine cost, it doesn't pen out unless you are going to pull a lot of weight with it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Excursion hater, I'd love one. I have buddy with a 2005 loaded, 33's, Buckstop bumper, etc. But they are overkill for rafting, and the 18 mpg they get is a little misleading IMHO.

Learch is offline   Reply With Quote