Old 03-22-2015   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Anyone have an opinion on clearance between a cooler and the floor (self bailer)? I just tried out my new Yeti and it just touches the floor.

woodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015   #12
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
My AIRE cat tubes are marked as being made in 1994 and my drybox is wedged in tight between them. and when I say wedged. I mean I drop one half of the box in, then grab the tube on the other side and roll it out a little while somebody pushes down on the box. I've never had any problems, and for a boat built in 1994 its in great shape. but of course I clean it after each trip, keep it covered on a trailer in the summer, and in the winter its stored inflated from my garage ceiling. but if my boat can last that long with no damage I'm sure yours can too.

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015   #13
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Originally Posted by woodriver View Post
Anyone have an opinion on clearance between a cooler and the floor (self bailer)? I just tried out my new Yeti and it just touches the floor.
That can be an issue. Tore my floor on the big boat ELFing the Smith. Rock pinched the floor between it and my hard floor. Set her in the water and give yourself some space between the cooler and floor. It is tempting to keep the gear low and flat but if your in boney water it can bite ya. Big water, not as much, but still a possibility.

Couldnt figure out why the boat was so damn heavy at the take out?????
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #14
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
If river sand is such a chafing problem where coolers and dryboxes contact the boat, than why have I never seen this, both there, and at frame contact points? Ever. But then I'm kinda new here, so forgive my outburst. Bullshit.

All of my dryboxes and most of my coolers were snugged up against the tubes tighter than your moms pursed lips when daddy asked for oral sex.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #15
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Agree with Phillip, I use squares of old foam camp pad to cushion frame posts...18' Aire Cat is 15+ years old.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote