Old 01-20-2016   #11
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
yeah, that doesn't sound like much fun

i've seen a few different captains bay floors. but nothing that really made me think it'd be any better than just standing on rubber.
but without a hard platform, the only real option for captains boxes is additions to the frame, right??

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #12
Paddling Since: 1994

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #13
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Oh it's way better then standing on rubber, and there are some safety advantages to having a solid platform to stand on, all in all I love my full length floor, it's great, and makes my home so much more comfy on the water, just one of those things where you take a "what if" risk.
Never had a problem in 10 years of doing this, just don't have a bad wrap, which is a mess with a gear boat anyway, and could be an even worse mess if you have a plywood floor.
Honestly my boat might be a little harder to wrap with the added stiffness, but have no desire to test this one out!
"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #14
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like running my floor somewhat soggy in low water situations for purposes of not getting stuck, but I like running it hard for purposes of keeping my feet dry. A cockpit floor solves this issue for me.

Although, the softer you run the floor, the more likely you are to pinch it between the river bottom and your footwell floor. I must say, though, that while it's possible to pinch an inflated floor, in 15 years I've only ever really seen bucket boats get pinched and damaged- 10" of air is a lot to overcome if it's reasonably well inflated. What's more, most of us run a cooler or drybox within an inch of the top of the floor anyway (I run mine touching) and we don't bat an eye about the pinch hazard. I still suspend my gear off the frame, but I don't really worry if it's touching the floor.

Look at it this way- it's not the gear that might damage the boat, it's the driver!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #15
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I have never tried this but the thought just came to me. What if you put a net floor like a cat has in it. I was thinking about buying an old bucket boat and removing the floor. Then put a cat style frame in it and just put NRS net floor. I assume the boat would lose some flotation with out the floor. But I am a cat man so I probably would not notice.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #16
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Curtis, you'll have a lot of fun with a floorless raft and frame.

My old company had a 13' hyside with a laced in floor that needed major repair. We ran the boat with the floor removed and a cheapo frame and oar set-up. Lot more splash factor when hitting waves compared to a cat that cuts through the water. We also tried it for paddle rafting with a bunch of guides, had to straddle the outside tube like a Russian homemade boat. Lots of swimming..... 6 average people weighed the boat down like 8 defensive tackles. So definitely lost some buoyancy without the floor.
I think a cat frame with mesh webbed floor would be a great way to reuse an old bucket.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #17
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
I floor alot of rafts, not too sure about using plywood though,its not for me. Rafts with my style frame boats don't wrap as easily like only having a top rail thrown on top of the tubes. The boat is supported better the whole way through. Here are a couple pics of the way I do floors.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	671.5 KB
ID:	10905

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	10906
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #18
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Doesn't matter what you use plywood or alum or that sweet rig like greenwall has,or no floor a pin or wrap blows. Just got to watch where your going. A floor to me just makes life easier. Can stand up to get a good look at what you don't want to hit,an better to rig all you stuff too.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016   #19
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Plywood is very easy. Spar varnish takes minutes. You don't need marine grade unless you live in a high humidity climate. It is the easiest for strapping boxes and such as slotting or drilling is something we can all do easily. It's inexpensive. Hang it from your frame or go underneath with straps and it is bomber to walk on. I use it on all my rafts and often use it in all bays.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016   #20
Paddling Since: 1994
How would a different type of frame make a raft wrap more or less easily?

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote