Tips on removing Halkey Roberts 780 relief valve - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2016   #1

Athens, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2000
Tips on removing Halkey Roberts 780 relief valve

I need to replace the valve core on an old school HR pressure relief valve in an i-beam floor. The core looks like this:

780RPA One-Way Pressure Relief Valve

The threaded boot it screws into is integrated into the raft floor. I've done this replacement once already on a different raft, and it was super easy: put a socket on the wrench flats, unscrew the core by hand, screw the new one in place. On the current raft, I'm up against two challenges: 1. The recessed hole in the floor is so close to the wrench flats that I have to use a needle nose pliers to get purchase instead of sticking a socket in there. 2. The valve either was over tightened by the previous owner or the threads are seized. I've put what seems like a lot of torque on the old core and am afraid I'll rip the boot/floor if I twist any harder. I squirted a bunch of 303 around the core and let it sit, hoping the liquid would act like a penetrating oil. No luck so far.

Anyone dealt with this issue before? Would be nice if I could just do the core swap, since I'm only 2 weeks away from departure for Deso and am nervous about doing a full cut-it-out-and-patch-in-a-new-valve repair so close to the trip.

ohioboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016   #2

Paddling Since: 1994
Unfortunately when they are stuck super hard the threads are usually corroded. If it was in the shop I would twist it with as much torque required to get it out. If the threads are blown it will need to be retrofitted.

The other option if you are worried about it, is to clean it the best you can from the topside. Pull the screen off gently so you dont blow it out then clean under the plunger with a q tip and 303. Those valves are easier to clean from the topside than the A-6's so you should have good luck.
Old 07-22-2016   #3

Athens, Ohio
Got it out!

Thanks for the follow up. I ended up using a bit of muscle to push a 1 1/8" socket down into the recess. With some rocking back and forth, the rubber stretched enough to let the socket slip in place. Took a bit more effort to turn the valve than on my other boat, but it came out fine. Threads had a bunch of white powder on them (corrosion probably) but cleaned up nicely. I now have a new valve insert installed and a floor that holds air.
Old 07-22-2016   #4

Paddling Since: 1994
The white powder is bad. Sounds like if you were able to thread it in and it holds its just starting to get corroded. Plan on retrofitting the valve next time you take it out and potentially before that. I'd have an A-6 in the repair kit just in case. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 07-25-2016   #5

Athens, Ohio
Good to know

Thanks for the heads up. I put a bit of silicone on the threads before reassembling - hopefully that slows the corrosion down. But just in case, I've got an A6 on order.