Old 01-15-2016   #31
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
I understand. He is not requiring payment, but he is a friend so I want to give him something. If not cash what do you think.
Did your friend use his own welder, gas and rod, or did he do it on the sly and had no out of pocket expenses? If he used his own equipment, and he didn't want to give you a price for doing it......the minimum I'd give him is a 50 dollar bill and a six or twelve pack of his favorite refreshment.

Gas and rod ain't cheap.

If you want to use his services in the future......don't be afraid to spend a little now. I have a friend who is a structural welder. I'm about the only one of his friends I can get him to do work for without going through his shop and their rate. My key to success is him knowing I always make it worth his while.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #32
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Greenwall says:
there aren't any welders in the whitewater industry that can hang with us.
None? Pretty bold statement! (BTW advertising on the Buzz without being a partner is a No-no.)

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #33
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Invite him on a nice river trip, get him some gear that he needs,do a shuttle for him, pay his share of the group cost on a trip or maybe its just his way of thanking you for something you did for him.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #34
wonderment, enlightened
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
Greenwall says:

None? Pretty bold statement! (BTW advertising on the Buzz without being a partner is a No-no.)
Thanks for the reminder.
dragonflyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #35
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Greenwall says:

Thats right ,none absolutely zero. It's just the facts, did I say there never could be-nope.Never know when the next prodigy will emerge. Didn't think the word "us" was advertising

I built a stainless pan before for myself, it held up fine but warped like a bitch it wasn't x broke as John stated earlier. But it was just a chunk of scrap to mess with. My personal firepan is made out of Inconel with a floating bottom or my trusy wok most of the time.

In the words of Reveren Kid Rock " They say I'm cocky and I say,what? It ain't braggin mother@$!er if ya back it up"
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #36
Austin, Texas
Yup, this guy ^^ is still full of shit.
" a 45."
.TNT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #37
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Oby 1. If I did a favor for one of my friends it would be a favor that would not need repayment. If one of my friends did a favor for me, it would be understood that it is out of friendship. That is the type of people I have as friends. We just help each other out and do not keep score. Just help him out some time down the road and accept the gift in the manner it was given.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016   #38
aurora, Colorado
Inconel. Sweet. 12x24x.125 piece of that is only about 450 bucks. Must be nice to have a firepan worth more than my raft. Mebbe we need the opposite of the poverty rafting thread; fat cat rafting thread.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016   #39
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
A couple of cases of good beer or 60 cash would do it for me helping a personal friend!
This is a good way to roll, some real good friends I'll work for free or trade time for time.

You have to take into account the size of the "shop", a one man outfit with no overhead and you should get lower rates, someone with an estimator, secretary, advertising, insurance, bonding benefits for employees etc. is going to cost more.
I have some very close friends who weld for a living and while they can charge 90 an hour+ for their work they take the above into account and people get quality work for a good deal. This applies to most trades in my experience.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote