Old 09-26-2015   #1
Atlanta, Georgia
Thwart Position on a 12 foot raft

Hey all.
I recently bought a new trib 12 footer and I am looking for some advise on where to place the thwarts. There are two thwarts, so ultimately one of the bays will have extra space making it difficult for paddlers to brace. I have two foot cups to glue in to alleviate thus issue. However, before I glue in the foot cups, I want to make sure that the thwarts are placed so that it is good for R2 as well as R5.

Right now there is extra space in the middle bay. I was thinking of adding the foot cups there, but when R2'ing the paddlers would be seated a good bit past the midpoint of the raft.

Maybe I should move the rear thwart forward and use the foot cups for the guide position? Paddlers would be more centered this way but idk if I would like to guide without a thwart in front of me.

Other idea was perhaps to move the front thwart back so when R2'ing paddlers would straddle/kneel over the front thwart. Foot cups would then go in the front for when the raft is a full load.

What do you think?

sull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #2
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by sull View Post
Other idea was perhaps to move the front thwart back so when R2'ing paddlers would straddle/kneel over the front thwart. Foot cups would then go in the front for when the raft is a full load.

What do you think?
This is how I've set up my 12' Vanguard. I put the foot cups up front because in the other positions, including the guide, the thwarts are used to brace off of. The thwart position is usually determined by the hight of the paddlers. No where to really brace your feet in the front position without foot cups.
Hope this helps

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #3
Atlanta, Georgia
My only other question is how important is it to be exactly centered in the raft when r2ing? If I move the front thwart back to straddle/kneel over it, then the r2 paddlers will be positioned slightly forward in the raft. Does it matter that much if they aren't centered?
sull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #4
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I don't think there is a perfect thwart position. I'd run it without the foot cups for now and figure out where you like things. That can change with number of paddlers and load. Sometimes I R-2 toward the center, sometimes I like to paddle more towards the front. I never know how many paddlers I'm going to have, so I like to keep plans fluid, so to speak.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #5
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
So this boat has the AIRE lace in floor? If so, just move the thwarts forward and backward until you know where you want to be. As R2, you might be moving the rear thwart forward (you might also have to move the forward thwart forward). In R2, I personally like to be slightly forward of center. For R4, I like the group weight to be slightly forward. R3 you will probably move everything back, while having you crew forward of center. R5 might be tough configuration and the boat will be heavy. Use a sharpie to mark the pvc at the floor lacing location as you figure them out. I used black dots for my normal positions and red or blue dots to signify where I move thwarts for various configurations. Once you have "normal" locations, you can use split links to run the thwart strap through. I also use these to tie gear down in the boat. pulling and pushing the webbing straps through the floor lacing all the time will eventually abrade the floor lacing. I would not glue in foot placements until I was 110% positive.
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote