the saga continues - Page 10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-03-2017   #91

Willimina, Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Have a good lawyer is an oxymoron. Grease your but_t and walk in backwards.
Empowering an attorney in a transaction is not compatible with conventional wisdom.
Entering into a transaction with respect to real property requires a written contract. If someone is unwilling to provide documentation in exchange for a cash deposit, ...perhaps you should rethink your transaction.
The Chinese are the best business people I've ever met. They don't leave anything to chance....Sooo... Bring your A game when dealing with them. They respect that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017   #92

Rosa, At the bottom of the Lake
Paddling Since: 1996
FYI: Small claims court in Coos Bay does not allow lawyers, just individuals.

Happy New Year Buzzards,

J.
GilaRobusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #93

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
In most jurisdictions lawyers aren't allowed in small claims court unless the defendant first brings one- then the plaintiff has the right to bring an attorney also.

"If someone is unwilling to provide documentation in exchange for a cash deposit, ...perhaps you should rethink your transaction."

Agreed. However, if the email string went something like below, I would consider that a contract and documentation of a deposit received:
Buyer: I want ABC.
Vendor: OK, it'll cost $X,000. Send a deposit and I'll start work. It'll be done in Y days.
Buyer: Check's in the mail.
(Buyer's bank verifies check amount, payable to, and that it was deposited.)

I would be surprised if (m)any of us would send money without at least something verifiable- email, invoice, receipt, etc.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #94

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
A contract or written invoice is [U]always[U]an excellent idea. We had an invoice for 50% from James with the month that the frame would be completed. Of course that date was just fairy dust blown up our a$$ it turns out. On top of that, we had some emails or texts with new dates. It was way past 60 days when we called Discover Card and they credited our account within a day or two. James had 45 days to dispute it. We waited 45 days to order our frame from Eddyline Welding.

When I contacted Mike DeHoff with Eddyline Welding. He provided a quote with in a few days. He was easy to get a hold of and you could tell he had his act together. We went down to Moab and visited his shop to worked out most of the details for a frame and dry boxes. We gave him 50% for the frame. Balance when that was completed. 50% for the dry boxes and balance for them when we met him to get the frame. He sent progress photos regularly. It was a totally custom frame, so it wasn't inexpensive. It was comparable to James' cost though. I have no problem giving someone a deposit for items that require they purchase expensive material.

In our construction business, we have to get a deposit. We have to order various custom items like tile, windows, cabinets, etc. We have to give a deposit to the granite fabricators(because they have to buy the slabs) and/or other subs. Most of our jobs require anywhere from 25-35% deposit with draws as various stages are completed. It's all spelled out in a very detailed contract with everything line itemed with cost for that item.

The days of doing just about anything on a hand shake are long gone. Even now we run into folks that gave money to some jack leg carpenter and they didn't do what they said or didn't finish the job and stopped showing up and answering the phone.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #95

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I like the saying, "A good client/contractor is better than a good contract."

That said, having a written agreement that spells out what is being delivered, when it's being delivered, and what it's going to cost (scope/schedule/budget) is key to a successful business transaction. I forget stuff, I'm sure other folks do to and even folks acting in good faith can space out on details. Clarity is worth the time writing up some notes and getting a signature on a piece of paper.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #96

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2012
Count Me In

Has anyone actually received their rig from Pacific River Outfitters/James Haworth? If so what is the consensus on quality? Because I too am feeling victimized.

Considering making the drive to have a little talk since supposedly my rig is complete (10 months in the works) but now can't get a hold of him...

Has anyone taken action or local who has actually visited the shop?
Rbtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #97

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Try Facebook - James Haworth - or go on the pnwrafters forum - he can't avoid you there or blame the buzz!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 01-11-2017   #98

Willimina, Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Thread is over a year old....victimized?

If so what is the consensus on quality? Because I too am feeling victimized.

Considering making the drive to have a little talk since supposedly my rig is complete (10 months in the works) but now can't get a hold of him...
QUOTE]

Did you give-em money in advance? Do you have a contract? Is the contract with an individual or a business entity and is that entity still functioning in its respective area ? (check with State SOS). Victimized is a word for the wayward urban children of New York, Miami, LA and should I say it?...Portland.
They built the Taj Mahal in 10 months. Surely a raft or cat chassis can be constructed in week.... or an afternoon.
Old 01-11-2017   #99

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Gary, please get back on your meds and also get a flesh-light to release that angry tension in your life
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017   #100

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I get that James brought all of this on himself but man this thread is negative and dark. I can't avoid it when visiting the gear section which I love, but I really wish it was in The Eddie so that I only see it when I'm in the mood to go to a negative place.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote