The mice attacked! Bottom repair - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2016   #1

Olympia, Washington
Paddling Since: 2013
The mice attacked! Bottom repair

I have a 16' SOAR Levitator that we had out about a month ago and I was lazy putting it away knowing we were going again soon. We just folded it up and threw it in the corner of the garage, much to my surprise the mice went nuts.
Ended up with 4 holes scattered around, mostly not a problem, just a pain. Except for the last one found, completely though the floor and out the bottom.
I have never had to patch the bottom, what is the black rubberized coating and how do you patch it? Its about the size of a .50 piece and there are several other abrasions that need recoated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Levitator hole.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	12344  

actionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look like mouse damage. That looks like dragging it folded up on concrete damage. Mouse damage usually had nibble marks. But, I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016   #3

Olympia, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look like mouse damage. That looks like dragging it folded up on concrete damage. Mouse damage usually had nibble marks. But, I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
This hole could have been something other than mice but considering I don't have any concrete, there were other holes and a mouse nest inside my folded up raft, the mice are taking the blame.
More of a concern is, how do I fix it?
Old 09-25-2016   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
You need to do both an inside and outside patch. The inside patch holds the air in and keeps the outside patch from blowing off. That means you need to sand and prep the inside of the boat too. I'd take it to a shop if you haven't done this kind of patching before. Check the Sotar site to see what fabric and glue to use.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
You need to do both an inside and outside patch. The inside patch holds the air in and keeps the outside patch from blowing off. That means you need to sand and prep the inside of the boat too. I'd take it to a shop if you haven't done this kind of patching before. Check the Sotar site to see what fabric and glue to use.
Soar not Sotar....I read it wrong the first time too That makes it Hypalon, so that answers the material and adhesive choices.

Small leaks/holes and on the river fixes are obviously worth doing yourself, but for the more serious damage I feel like the extra cost of hiring a professional is worth the piece of mind. I had a whole thing written out about recommending some local Denver guys before realizing you are from Oregon. I'm sure there are good inflatable repair guys in your area, so maybe look one of them up.

That hole looks like its right on the border between DIY and having a professional do it. If there is any question in your mind, its worth at least taking it to one of those guys and asking what they think.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016   #6

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
If you are comfortable with boat repair it is worth trying to fix this yourself in my opinion. Sounds like it is a Hypalon boat so go to your local boat shop and get some black rubber material. Or order some from Cascade or NRS. You'll want some black Hypalon on hand for your repair kit anyway. Give it a shot. Worst case senario is you have to pull up the patch and re do it, or take it to a pro. Patch it like any other patch, just with black rubber so it matches. For air holding patches I have had excellent results with Clifton Adhesive plus their Accelerant. It is what some of the boat manufacturers use to glue Hypalon boats together and will vulcanize the rubber for a better bonding.

I bet you don't need an inside/outside double patch. Just an outside should hold air if you do it right. Plus the mouse was nice enough to keep the hole out of the I beam channel which makes it easier. Just overlap material 2" or so all the way around the hole and you should be good to go. And round off any corners of the patch so it will stay down a long time. After a day or 2 give your repair the soapy water treatment and make sure it is no longer leaking.

For the larger scrim shots a wear patch is in order. Treat it like any other patch. For small scrim shots just use a little aqua seal and it should protect it nicely.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016   #7

Olympia, Washington
Thanks for the response guys! I would prefer to take it to someone but I have yet to find anyone close. I am actually in Olympia Wa and we don't have a large amount of rafting going on in this area. I figured if I can't find anyone I could give it a go, worst case a pro can fix my mistakes.

I was under the impression the black part was a urethane coating, is that incorrect? It seems like a painted on coating.
Old 09-25-2016   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The SOAR website says the floor is Nylon Coated with Neoprene and the top is Nylon coated with Hypalon. As far as I've read, though I'm no expert, you repair the two types of fabric similarly. It sounds like the only way it would be a Urethane coating is if a previous owner of the boat had it applied to the craft after they purchased it. Its probably worth a call to SOAR to ask what they recommend. They would probably even be willing to sell you a couple pieces of material to do the patching with.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #9
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Here is a great spot to take your boat and not too far away in Vancouver, WA! Vic at Goodwater Boatworks is the greatest and will get you fixed right up, his number is 503-453-0713 and tell him Renee said HELLLLOOOO when you call

vic@goodwaterboatworks.com
Goodwater Boat Works :: Home
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #10

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade River Gear View Post
Here is a great spot to take your boat and not too far away in Vancouver, WA! Vic at Goodwater Boatworks is the greatest and will get you fixed right up, his number is 503-453-0713 and tell him Renee said HELLLLOOOO when you call

vic@goodwaterboatworks.com

Goodwater Boat Works :: Home

I 2nd this recommendation if you want to take it to a professional. Vic does excellent work.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mts3212 is offline   Reply With Quote