The great dory question! - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2016   #21

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for all the good info, everyone. Much appreciated.

Based on the info available. What do you guys think a fair price would be on this boat and trailer?

reyher85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #22

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Better question is, what are they asking for it? A wood boat is hard to inspect based on photos alone, especially given its from 1969, its hard to evaluate any restoration.

In the land of drift boats in Oregon, you can easily get a wood McKenzie River drift boat in good usable shape no frills boat with a usable trailer for $2000 or less (similar to the one you posted assuming its in usable shape as is) up to as much as you want to pay for something really fancy. You can get a lot nicer wood McKenzie boat for $3500 or less.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #23

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Better question is, what are they asking for it? A wood boat is hard to inspect based on photos alone, especially given its from 1969, its hard to evaluate any restoration.

In the land of drift boats in Oregon, you can easily get a wood McKenzie River drift boat in good usable shape no frills boat with a usable trailer for $2000 or less (similar to the one you posted assuming its in usable shape as is) up to as much as you want to pay for something really fancy. You can get a lot nicer wood McKenzie boat for $3500 or less.
Thanks for the info. I really don't know what the market is like. Really nice (and expensive) boats seem fairly easy to find but entry level boats seem to be pretty few and far between. This one is listed for $1,700 and it's local. It struck me as a pretty good deal (which is why I have been bugging you good people). Think there's a better boat/value out there?
Old 08-04-2016   #24

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
If its ready to float as is and the trailer is road worthy, probably not much less that would be worth your time to travel and buy. It would be nice if you could find someone around your area that knows something about wood boat to help check out its soundness.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #25

Paonia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Wooden Boat People and Montana River Boats are great resources, Wooden Boat has tons of threads on almost any question concerning repairs. Converting open hull is very doable, but probably want to pursue that amount of time and money on a high side. Also, be really careful with dry rot on old wood boats.
synergyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #26

Post Falls, Idaho
Stu with Montanaboat.Com is a great resource I have Facebook messaged him many times with questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #27

Aurora, Colorado
Going back up to the question of continuous rocker vs. flat spot, all other measurements equal, the flat boat is going to carry substantially more weight for the same draft. This may seem obvious, but I was pretty surprised at just how big the difference is when I modeled it.

FreeShip is a pretty good free software to model boats if you're thinking of designing your own, or even just for visualizing waterlines for various boats/loads. I've got several of the boats from Fletcher's book modeled up in FreeShip. PM if you're interested, and I can send some files over.

Built these boats over the winter for the newest boatman here. 16' Hindman Double Ender w/Transom, reduced by 0.33 and a model at 1:16. Definitely learned something about boat building for when I pull the trigger on the big-boy size. Now I just need a 20'x30' out building. . .

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #28

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergyboater View Post
Wooden Boat People and Montana River Boats are great resources, Wooden Boat has tons of threads on almost any question concerning repairs. Converting open hull is very doable, but probably want to pursue that amount of time and money on a high side. Also, be really careful with dry rot on old wood boats.
Thanks for this comment. Please excuse my ignorance but can you tell me what you mean by "high side?"
Old 08-07-2016   #29

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Went and took a look at it and made some measurements.

From bow to stern, measuring from the top of the boat, the boat is 14' 1'.

The width at the top of the boat measures 66.5" at the oar locks, the floor is 46" wide at the oar locks.

The side wall height measure 24" at the oar locks and at the stern. The bow is 32" if you measure along the tip of the stern. it is 27.5 inches if you measure perpendicular from the floor of the boat straight up to the top. Crappy diagram attached to (hopefully) clarify what I am talking about.

Looking at the information regarding boat specs at High Desert Dories (Dory Designs | High Desert Dories) it would seem this boat is a little shorter and narrower than the "whitewater" McKenzie River Dory.

What do you guys think of these specs? Is it a class III river runner or a Class I-II fishing drift boat?

It is not clear to me whether the sidewalls on this boat are as tall as a typical whitewater dory. Any info on this would be appreciated.

I got to row it around on a lake for a few minutes today. It rowed really nicely. It did have a little water leaking into the bottom by the time I was done. I'd say a few ounces of water in ten minutes of rowing it around. Not sure how normal this is for a wooden boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160807_114559.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	770.4 KB
ID:	12135  
Old 08-07-2016   #30

Flagstaff, Arizona
The traditional McKenzie boats had the length and width measurements you cite. This would be a great boat for one or two people in Grand Canyon, or Cataract at lower water. It is NOT a gear hauler. It is a little narrower than one might like, which would make it a little more tippy in the big stuff. If you are ok flipping it and flipping it right back up, than no problem. Also, the river dories of today tend to self bail by putting the rowing seat way up in the air so the rower's feet are near the waterline. I'd rather bail out the footwell and sit lower. The lower center of gravity would help.

The unloaded open dory should be very responsive on an open lake unless you were out there with five friends. That said, water-in-the-boat after a bit of lake work is troubling. If you deck this boat and you have not fixed the leaks, you will not be a happy camper. It sounds like the price is right, but you will need to do a lot of work to this boat to make it ready for multi-day whitewater journeys.

Whatever you do, I sure support you. This is a learning curve to figure out what would be best for you, how much you want to learn about building compartments in a boat, and what are the needs of your boating family. Sometimes, you just need to do it and see where it leads...

Bottom line... Have Fun with it! Yours, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote