The great dory question! - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2015   #11

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
Ok... I myself am contemplating a dory build... I have read big water little boats. . Seen Tom Martin's Gem sitting on its trailer. I have spent a day or three in Brad Dimmock s boat shop in Flagstaff and bent 4 millimeter ply on to a dory frame. The Gem and it's 3/8 skin seems reasonable... the slightly less than 1/4 thick ply Brad uses seems like an invitation to disaster. .. but as long as ya don't screw up... fine. Plasticore is essentially corrugated cardboard made out of old milk jugs? I am fascinated and horrified... sorta like a left run at bedrock.... how would that work?

sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015   #12

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I already decided to do a Plascore build. From what I can tell from other forums and Plascore's website it is a all plastic plywood with no wood product in it to start rotting should you ever hit something hard enough to damage the hull. That alone would be enough to sway me. The fact that it is significantly lighter, and is more flexible allowing for thicker sides sealed the deal. The cherry on top is Plascore recommending people not use scarf joints and just use butt joints. Some other cool things about Plascore are it is available in 8'x5' sheets for the floor, and you can order 1" thick pieces for the floor.

I am one of those people with the inside track on Grand permits. A group I go with gets permits every year playing the winter dates around Christmas.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015   #13

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
You have my full and undivided attention. We are launching 12.8.15 btw. . I looked up plascore... totally missed the thicker solids. ... research research research...
sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #14

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Whitewater Dory vs. Fishing Dory

Hi all,
Don't mean to jack this thread but I didn't think people would be too offended since it's over a year old now.

I am a pretty experienced boatman (rafts, WW kayaks, canoes, etc.) but do not have any experience with dories. I am interested in getting a dory that I can fish out of but its main purpose would be whitewater. I am in Idaho and we run a lot of trips down the Middle, Main, and Lower salmon. I came across this dory (pics attached). It is not decked and so I am assuming it is more of a fishing model but I am wondering if it could be modified into a whitewater dory?

More generally, what are the operative differences between whitewater dories and their flatter water brethren? Are the hull shapes the same but have different features or are they completely different boats?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00w0w_b3OTme5hOAy_600x450.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	12091   Click image for larger version

Name:	00c0c_fjE9JzRRD7t_600x450.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	12092  

Name:	00J0J_2Zuw9qQ6RZn_600x450.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	12093   Click image for larger version

Name:	00m0m_6HufyQkJxKM_600x450.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	12094  

Name:	00s0s_cnces6xZTEj_600x450.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	12095  
reyher85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #15

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
not much difference between whitewater dory and a regular old classic McKenzie River drift boat. Of course you should know that the modern style of McKenzie drift boats were pioneered all over the PNW multiday whitewater runs, particularly by the Prince Helfrich crew on the MF Salmon, among other places, using un-decked boats. Helfrich's still run the MF Salmon in open boats with no closed decks I believe. However, classic "whitewater dory" has some level of closed decking/compartments.

Do you happen to know how old that boat is you post a picture of, it looks either like a restored Woody Hindman McKenzie River drift boat - double ender or a close copy of that design. Hindman didn't make double enders very long (the time between square front-enders and when squared off transoms came into vogue). If that is an original restored Hindman double ender, that is quite a boat and pretty rare.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #16

Up North, Oregon
photo of a restored Hindman double ender built in the 1940s attached

some good vid of the class McKenzie River un-decked boat and prince helfrich crew from the 1960s

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150307_071735.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	12096  
Old 08-04-2016   #17

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
not much difference between whitewater dory and a regular old classic McKenzie River drift boat. Of course you should know that the modern style of McKenzie drift boats were pioneered all over the PNW multiday whitewater runs, particularly by the Prince Helfrich crew on the MF Salmon, among other places, using un-decked boats. Helfrich's still run the MF Salmon in open boats with no closed decks I believe. However, classic "whitewater dory" has some level of closed decking/compartments.

Do you happen to know how old that boat is you post a picture of, it looks either like a restored Woody Hindman McKenzie River drift boat - double ender or a close copy of that design. Hindman didn't make double enders very long (the time between square front-enders and when squared off transoms came into vogue). If that is an original restored Hindman double ender, that is quite a boat and pretty rare.
Thanks for the response. The ad said "1969 dory drift boat." That is the extent of my knowledge at the moment. I guess my ultimate question is whether this would be (or could be with some modification) a good Idaho whitewater dory or if, by design, it is geared more for some other purpose.
reyher85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #18

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
It should be fine. I would see if you could take it for a test run first to see how it rows.

You can strip out the interior outfitting and install your own bulkheads and decks to make a pretty nice dory. I have a friend who did it. Later he ended up building one because he wanted something bigger,

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #19

Up North, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyher85 View Post
Thanks for the response. The ad said "1969 dory drift boat." That is the extent of my knowledge at the moment. I guess my ultimate question is whether this would be (or could be with some modification) a good Idaho whitewater dory or if, by design, it is geared more for some other purpose.
It looks to be fine just the way it is in a competent rowers hands (i.e. Hindman style double ender). Of course since its an open wood boat, decked compartments could be added relatively easily.

Just for my own curiosities, let me know if you find out more about who/where it was made.
Old 08-04-2016   #20

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Here are a few pics from my dory build over the winter. You can read more about it at Whitewater Dory if interested.

I used Core Cell rather than Plascore with a combination of several different glass clothes and epoxy resin. The bottom is 54" across the chines, chosen for more load capacity, shallower draft, and hopefully more stability. We'll see - first trip is on Prospect Lake (!!!) for a christening party and then hopefully a Grand or Main Salmon permit next year.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3383.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	845.9 KB
ID:	12102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3037.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	638.2 KB
ID:	12103