Old 03-09-2015   #1
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Terran Rafts - anyone?

Anyone have any exposure or experience with Terran rafts? I noticed them when I was browsing for a used raft. The company (A&T, LC) is out of Salt Lake City, UT area and imports the rafts from China. The rafts look similar to Saturn rafts albeit with better prices. Makes me wonder how long they'll be around - if I remember right the last Utah company to import/sell rafts (Big Dog rafts or ????) wasn't around for more than a year or two at the most.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #2
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I saw a Terran ducky on KSL today and I thought the same thing. The company looks brand new. They have a squarespace webpage set up, but it all looks brand new.

From their pictures, I like their designs a little better than the Saturns. Looks like they have a real floor and not the funny Saturn style. Maybe closer to a Maxxon than a Saturn?

Their website say they have "C7 style" valves, but the valves look black in the pictures. I have never seen black C7's. I wonder if they are real Leifields? No word on the website about how the seams are constructed.

As I understand it, Big Water Rafts disappeared because their hypalon glue fell apart when the sun hit it. The cheap Chinese glued PVC boats have been around for a while now and while I've never owned one, I haven't heard any tails of widespread, catastrophic failure. I actually would love to hear from some one who has put a couple hundred river days on their budget Chinese PVC.

mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015   #3
Midvale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1980
Terran Rafts

Hello. I am Terran Church -- the owner of A & T, LC and Terran rafts and gear. I started designing and making rafts 8 years ago for myself and other boatman I knew from working for Western River Expeditions back in the 80's. Word of mouth has been my friend but I have been calculated in my growth as I'm honestly a little nervous about being able to keep up with potential national demand. I'm just launching my website to go bigger with things. Regarding quality, we've been running rafts on the Grand and many others since we started. I can give numbers of rafters you can talk to that own our rafts and who have come back for more. Feel free to call me anytime to get direct answers to any questions you may have.
terranchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015   #4
Paddling Since: 1994
The Big Water Rafts were PVC. I havent ever seen one in the shop or on the river but from pictures I saw they looked like a Vanguard knockoff. The Hypalon rafts that had catastrophic glue failure in the sun were Earth Outdoor Products.

I have never seen a Terran but look forward to checking them out. There are black Leafield C-7's floating around so don't discount it on that fact alone.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015   #5
Reliance, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1978
The valves being used in the Terran rafts are NOT Leafield valves. The Leafield valve, made in the UK, does NOT have a red center spindle - the Leafield spindle is grey. The Terran cap is screwed into place where as the leafield cap is heat welded on. My awareness of there being a counterfeit valve on the market first came to light when one of our customers at Man of Rubber River Gear, bought Leafield hose adapters from us that did not fit their C7 valve. This is impossible ... it is what led to the discovery of this counterfeit valve being made in China. The Leafield valve sets the standard by which all other valves are judged ... BEWARE OF COUNTERFEITS.
Beth Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015   #6
Eastern Slope, Colorado
There are black C7 valves. The Zodiac MilPro boats have them.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015   #7
Reliance, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1978
Black C7 Valves

Yes, Leafield does have black C7 valves and we actually sell them to MilPro. But their are distinct differences between what others are asking about and the Leafield C7 valve - I have posted a few of these obvious differences in my earlier post today. There are actually other industries that request black c7's from us, but the standard grey is by far the most popular. Leafield has introduced the D7 now - it deflates more than 50% faster than the C7 ... we offer it as a standard configuration and we also have one that has a mesh filter at the opening to prevent threads from drop stitch from getting sucked back into the valve - great feature for SUP's.
Beth Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #8
Eagle Mountian, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
I bought one a couple of years ago for my first raft and I've been really happy with it. It tracks really well and I feel like a I have a lot of control compared to some other boats I've rowed.
Strieby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #9
Eastern Slope, Colorado
I like how he just names the company after himself.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016   #10
Vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
I bought 15' Terran raft for my first boat. Was a good boat the only problem I had it was to narrow, hard to find dry boxes and coolers to fit not sure if they make them wider or not

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Riverbilly is offline   Reply With Quote