Old 05-06-2011   #11
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Eureka Timberline Outfitter 6 Tent - Camping Tents

I have been very happy with this Eureka "Boy Scout" tent. One night, I was lackadaisical about staking it and the winds kicked up to over 40 mph in the middle of the night. We had to lie prostrate to keep it from flying away. I tried to re-stake it in the downpour, using the blunt end of my ax as a mallet. It occurred to me that I was swinging the sharp end at my forehead with wet hands in a very remote location. I crawled back in and assured my family that the tent would withstand the storm. Although I was not confident, it did.

I don't own one but they used to offer a vestibule. They have made this tent for many years. The biggest drawback- you need to be six feet tall to set it up.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Check out the Big Agness Coulton Creek 4 on the REI website. Not too heavy and has mesh up top for ventilation and a door that zips up for privacy. Doesn't have a full coverage rainfly though, but looks like a decent tent.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #13
The next zone, .
Ever thought of a ultralight tipi? This 12 man is about a good size for 3-4 and your center pole could be a oar.. You can even add a stove for any early/late season missions.

12 Man Tipi
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #14
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Hey Alex,
I got a 4 man tent at Recreation outlet that is a White rim geo dome(4 pole) with a detatchable vestibule I have the three man in the same model. Big doors, awesome rain fly, very stable. I have been in windstorms that flattened everyones tents and rain for days. I have never gotten wet and my tent hardly moved in the wind, when everyone was having theirs blow onto them. I don't know if they still have one because they are close outs. looks alot like this tent from Cabella's.

Cabela's: Cabela's Alaskan Guide® Model Tent

Wow, huge link. Anyway if you want to look at it close up I will be glueing d-rings on the new raft and we could set it up. Call Rec outlet and see if they have one. I think I paid 139.00
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #15
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Look at Eureka Timberline tents. They probably make one in a size to meet your needs. The big advantage to the Timberline is that you can set up the frame and the rain fly without the tent. That is perfect for times when you want shelter from dew but don't want full enclosure. I used mine that way far more than with the whole tent.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #16
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks all for great suggestions, I ended up purchasing Big Agnes Jupiter's Creek tent. Found a deal and a coupon which made the whole deal with the tent footprint for $230. If anyone is interested let me know.

Big Agnes Jupiter's Cabin 4 | 4 Person Car Camping Tent | Three Season Tents

Thanks all!

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #17
Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Check out the "Alaskan Guide Series" tent by Cabelas. Very durable, high ceiling, and light weight
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #18
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
not to hijack but...

can I throw another question into the circle - does anyone have a go-to tent that they can set up on a raft OR on a beach? (such as the Megamid or Kiva Lite)

I've heard a few models thrown around over the years but never looked into them much until now. I realize I'll probably have to sacrifice bomber windproofing for weight and size but that's ok. Suggestions?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.-Ed Abbey
Emmielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #19
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
I have an old Trekker Tarp by walrus. Its my go to. Got it free back in another lifetime when i was an active guide. Its perfect, floorless. A frame style, poles or string it up between two pionts.

Pretty sure they dont make em any more, but if you stumble across one buy it.

Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote