Old 06-05-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Technique: Carrying lightweight cats

Living on the east coast, the access spots for lots of fun rivers don't have ramps...hell a lot of them are trails a goat would turn up it's nose at. I know there are other buzzards on here who share in the agony of getting your boat to and from the river. I'm considering some backpack like straps made to fit between my front yoke and cross bar. The straps would rest on top of my shoulders, I'd hold the front yoke to balance the boat. What do y'all think, What are your techniques?

This is my current technique, kinda hunched over...hard on the back. I boat with mostly kayakers, so the you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours method is not happening. Although I find if I just bring a cooler along, people will offer to help...if they can have some beer.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
This isn't probably going to be that helpful - but have you thought about getting a Hyside paddle cat and inflating it once you get to the river? Carrying it rolled as a backpack is a lot easier than carrying a inflated boat around.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #3
Denver, Colorado
Bahahah hyside....hell no

I'd call Mr. Love and get me a real shredder. Then what I have to r1 or bring a buddy, I like rowing, hardly anyone does it around here, and I'm trying to row stuff that probably has only been paddled. I'm just trying to see if anyone has a good method I've yet to try.

I don't expect much help from Colorado peps (Yall got big boats and ramps) but how about our NW friends, I see y'all with your titanium frames and ultralight tubes. Anyone besides me actually carry boats solo.
Old 06-06-2015   #4
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have carried a 14 foot Maravia Willi 1 up our lunch camp access trail when we were forced to portage because of the Salmon. Empty.

I was tired of the guys whining about the portage and dicking around when a couple of us were trying to bust out so we could go surf that night.

So yes I have carried a boat solo, but I have nothing to help you.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #5
Denver, Colorado
That's a big boat to solo but rafts are much easier to manage due to the floor and bailing holes. The cat is giving me trouble because of all the empty space between the tubes. My thwart seat works pretty good to rest the weight of the boat on my shoulders, but the geometry is screwed
Old 06-06-2015   #6
I usually just pick up the front and drag mine (12' Hyside, light frame).
Have tried the shoulder straps, but the balance was off.
If my seat bar was removable, I could stand centered and the balance would improve. I usually remove the three oars for weight and balance and make two trips, but I'm old. Not all Colorado catboaters have heavy cats (although only in Colorado do you see cats with floors, WTF?)
And not all of our rivers and creeks have ramps, I've found being able to carry my boat greatly expands the number of rivers/creeks I can do.

Good for you pushing the limits for oar boats. What is your frame material? Is that the position of the seat when you row?
Is that a 10' Aire? Do you carry a spare oar?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #7
OK, just an idea based on your picture.

Try transferring the load from resting on your shoulders, to resting on your hips. You should be able to carry a larger load a longer distance that way.

Is there a crossbar under the thwart? if so, you could pick up an external frame back pack like one of these here dealies...

You could attach/weld an L hanger, to the top of the uprights. This would make a nice u channel to set the thwart crossbar on.

Put the pack on, turn around, lift the front of the raft so you can get under the pack under the crossbar and let the crossbar rest in the u's on the uprights. That should leave the majority of the load on your hips and leave your ands free to help maintain the balance of your rig.......

Ha! does that explanation make any sense?

Like the rig this here canoe dude is rockin'.....

Or, you could try using your head to carry the load, sherpa head sling style.....

Hope this helps!
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #8
Denver, Colorado
Rich: I was just making broad generalizations about CO boaters in an shameless attempt to get some activity on my thread. My frame is just plain ol aluminum n heavy. That is where my seat goes, I just pick up the boat n go... I'm 6'3", most folks sit on my rig and their feet can't reach the front yokes. I do have a spare, if you look far right in the photo you can see it strapped to the outside of the tube. My tubes are Aire prototypes I bought of the outcast demo list. 11'6", 20" dia, two chambers per tube.

Bosco: That's what I'm talking about!!! Simple and cheap, just like me. I do have cross bars behind and under the thwart, so that external frame pack would work great. I'm going to pick up one at the army surplus store and give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2015   #9
Broad generalization, but somewhat true. I have never seen as much diamond plate and floors on cats as in Colorado. And many of my catboater friends will not do a river unless they can back their trailer into the water. Way different than the mentality in Idaho/PNW.

I missed the spare tied on the side and on my computer the frame looks white, my first guess was PVC, but I knew that would not work.

Good luck run new, tight runs! I'm off to Boulder Creek and leave tomorrow for Idaho!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #10
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Why not derig and carry the tubes and frame separately?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote