Old 06-07-2015   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Why not derig and carry the tubes and frame separately?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Because that would blow and be a huge waste of time. The run I'm carrying up from is the savage river in Maryland. It's a dam release river, we only get three scheduled releases a year, and the release is from 10-2. The run takes about an hour and we always try for three if I was to derig, which there isn't room to do at the takeout anyway, I wouldn't be able to keep up with my hard boating buddies and wouldn't get as much time on my favorite river.

The carry is probably only a hundred vertical feet, if it was a hike out I would derig. I'm just looking for a easy option for carrying my cat solo up from the river in places without ramps.

k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #12
i am a colorado cat driver.
i have a floor in my cat. i have a mesh seat. i run oar rights and cataract oars.

so, maybe my 2 cents means nothing.

but with my 11' cat, i carry it just like you do in the picture. a little awkward, but when duck hunting, sometimes i carry it a quarter mile or more.
my 14' cat, i only carry it downhill!

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #13
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Holy carp, if I saw a big red headed Viking like you carrying a cat up a steep trail I would at least get the hell out of the way!

Looking at frame and boat, I'm betting you could lose close to 20 lbs but would not be the cheapest option. My expedition boat is an 11x22 single chamber SOTAR that weighs 18# per tube, and your frame looks like it has lo pro type fittings and bigger diameter tubing than needed. That being said, balance is always going to be a challenge. I like the thwart seat idea, that helps. I think the pack frame idea that transfers weight to your hips is the way to go. Good luck and let us know the results.

For longer single track trails, like some of the Cali classics, I have used a wheel cart system. For Idaho expeditions, it is usually a brute force but take your time technique.

boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #14
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I am guessing you might be best off bribing your kayak friends to help carry. Money, booze, other recreational products, carrying beer/gear/food for them on a another day, etc

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015   #15
Minden, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1961
The beauty of a cat is that you can break it down into component parts for hiking on trails. I like an external frame without a bag on it.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #16
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
I have used the padded thigh straps (Boat works people) from my IK as simple shoulder straps to portage loads.
If most of the vegetation is less than three feet, like a single track trail over rocky terrain, I have used the same straps and been able to walk while standing in the middle of our Jack's Baby-Cat. The straps take majority of the load and your hands are still free to lift the scout bars of the frame and balance the boat. Our frame is home welded 3/4" EMT conduit.

That trail looks wicked steep, but at 6'3 that method may work for you.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #17
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
I have a set of Jack's 12' Cutthroat tubes with a bastardized home built 1.25" EMT frame that I can carry like you are in the pic. My frame has a cross bar under the seat that is pretty close to the centerline of the tubes (depending on how the boat is rigged). I rest the cross bar on my shoulders and balance with my hands on the foot bar. No different from you really, other than I use the oars as a counterbalance. If I leave the oars on the pins and toss the blades forward the boat is nearly balanced and only requires slight pressure on the foot bar.

Not sure if that helps at all, but I found that using the balance point to be key.
Quacktacular81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #18
Adirondacks, New York
Paddling Since: 1983
Cat N Carry

Just saw your thread about carrying a cat. I'm up in NY and once I finally make my decision between an Aire Sabertooth, HS Paddlecat or a JP Culebra I'll have a similar problem. After looking at your set-up though, I might go with some smaller tubes and rig a traditional, albeit smaller, cat.
Where are you carrying in down there in WV? I am always looking for a new set. My main spot up here would be north of the Hudson River put in, beat the commercial rigs and have a nice stretch leading up to the confluence with the Indian. Could even turn it into an overnighter or maybe 2.
DAzlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #19
Originally Posted by DAzlim View Post
My main spot up here would be north of the Hudson River put in, beat the commercial rigs and have a nice stretch leading up to the confluence with the Indian. Could even turn it into an overnighter or maybe 2.
Do you mean putting on the river up in Newcomb? There shouldn't be any need for bushwhacking your way to the river there. There's two excellent boat ramps right there on the lake not too far from the bridge. One is at the Town Beach, and another one at the Lake Harris State Park. Plenty of parking also.

There's a nice camping spot where the Cedar River meets the Hudson river. That is a real good place to stop if you're planning a overnight trip. You can also put in on the Cedar River, you can drive right to the put in beach atIndian Lake. No need for carrying there either.

If you really want to have fun, try putting in upstream of where the commercial companies normaly do on the Indian. Just below the dam. That there Otter Slide can be quite a challange.

Some make it,

And some don't.

Have fun out there!

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
DAzlim, not sure if ur asking what I'm rowing or where.

The what is a set of one off outcast (aire) tubes, 12'x20", and a cheap frame.

The where is anywhere I think I can squeeze down. Planing on rowing the upper yough for the first time in a few weeks, it's been a goal for three years!!!

Can't go wrong with a cat, but a paddle cat is more versatile. Row, r1, or r2. I'm still searching for some old school paddle saddle frame for some sick r2 on my cat. If anyone has one sitting around I'm your man...guaranteed carnage!

k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote