Table hardware - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2016   #11

Eugene, Oregon
Where do you get the big slabs of cutting board? I'm looking to make a front seat/table as well.

That's a paddlin'.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016   #12

Taos, New Mexico
Our Catalog - Commercial Quality Custom Sized Boards - CuttingBoardCompany.com
h20shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #13

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
High Density Polyethylene Sheet - HDPE
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #14

Eugene, Oregon
Too spendy. Looks like I'm on to other materials.

That's a paddlin'.
Old 07-11-2016   #15

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
FYI - I started out with HDPE as my table top but then re-did the table with aluminum for several of reasons:

1) it's lighter
2) you can put blazing hot stuff on it right off the burner
3) you can cut on it and it won't get scored
4) fits more flush with my side rails vs. the thickness of the HDPE
5) it gets blazing hot in the sun

Ok...so #5 is not really a plus but you get the picture
Old 07-11-2016   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I ordered my HDPE sheets from Professional Plastics in Denver, but they are i other cities too and there are always several plastic suppliers in major metros. When you place your order they will pre cut the plastic to you desired sizes and they only charge you for the sq feet you buy, so you dont have to buy a whole sheet and have waste. When you get the plastic you just have to cut out strap holes, lo-pro cut outs, and whatever else you want. I round all the edges with router. I recently took a router to the underside of the plastic to cut out material to make it lighter.

I really love the plastic decking because it looks great, feels good, can't cut you, does not get hot, cleans easy, has good grip when wet and is very durable. But it is very heavy. I dont believe the price is too expensive. I got all the plastic to do full side decking, and two large bays (one of which is the table top). I spent just under $200 on the plastic. Granted ply wood is cheaper but plywood is almost as heavy and them you have to seal it with some kind of finish and texture. sealing the wood is actually kind of expensive on its own and its more labor, plus it still won't hold up as well.

That being said, my next boat is probably going to have aluminum decking and bay covers. do to the weight.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #17

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
I ordered my HDPE sheets from Professional Plastics in Denver, but they are i other cities too and there are always several plastic suppliers in major metros. When you place your order they will pre cut the plastic to you desired sizes and they only charge you for the sq feet you buy, so you dont have to buy a whole sheet and have waste. When you get the plastic you just have to cut out strap holes, lo-pro cut outs, and whatever else you want. I round all the edges with router. I recently took a router to the underside of the plastic to cut out material to make it lighter.

I really love the plastic decking because it looks great, feels good, can't cut you, does not get hot, cleans easy, has good grip when wet and is very durable. But it is very heavy. I dont believe the price is too expensive. I got all the plastic to do full side decking, and two large bays (one of which is the table top). I spent just under $200 on the plastic. Granted ply wood is cheaper but plywood is almost as heavy and them you have to seal it with some kind of finish and texture. sealing the wood is actually kind of expensive on its own and its more labor, plus it still won't hold up as well.

That being said, my next boat is probably going to have aluminum decking and bay covers. do to the weight.
what thickness HDPE did you use?
UTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote