Mountain Buzz banner

Sun/ Rain Shelter

24K views 71 replies 28 participants last post by  daledevon 
#1 ·
Need to come up with a new camp shelter. Any opinions on what works best. My canvas is to tattered and moldy to go again.

#48 ·
After packing up the heavier tarps for many years, I was ready for something easier & smaller.
Atomicrider- that is one sweet tarp you made! 25X18- what's the weight, what material did you use, and what was your cost to make? I'm curious. I know a lot of UL backpackers who make their own. Using the right material, right thread, and right type of seams is crucial to having a weather tight tarp from what they have said.

#50 ·
I'm using the 1.9 oz urethane coated rip stop nylon and the finished weight with straps and stakes is about 8-10 lbs and its about the size of a small sleeping bag in a stuff sack. I built another one for my dad out of the nysil that was 18'x16' that weighs 2.2 lbs. Cost wise, they run about $225 in materials depending on the bells and whistles that i add, and then it's just the time to put together.

#51 ·
I built one for my dad 11 years ago and it's still going strong, I fact I'm building him a new one right now for him and his old one is going to a daughter. We figured it's been on almost 100 multi day trips (river, road, camping, reunions, scouts, etc).
Here is the UL version.
Color makes a big difference. The UL is not as cool in the sun as the 1.9 oz ones. Blue is one of the best all around colors I've used. Yellow is horrible (attracts yellow jackets).

Attachments

#52 ·
Thanks for the info. That makes me feel better about paying $265 to a cottage vendor to make my tarp. For the most part, I don't have the equipment, skills, or patience for DIY, so I'm ok with paying for stuff. Especially if it's a cottage vendor who is making nice quality stuff to my specs. Seems like most DIY folks get a great deal of satisfaction & fun out of making their own stuff, not just for the cost savings.

tmacc -I need to find your neighbor and have them make me a raft cover.:)

#63 ·
Yeah, my homemade Gortex bivy was a work of love that taught me a lot. My machine couldn't handle more than 3 layers so I had to hand sew a few seams and I am not sure my finger tips have yet to forgive me. Its not the most beautiful piece of equipment, and it was quickly outdated but I still love the thing for its gestalt.

Several of my friends make packs for their various outings and you can see the same pride (the healthy type) in them when they use it. My most active buddy (on a 8 day canyoneering/backpacking/packrafting adventure in GCNP) builds as much as he adventures; the unique bikes he projects (mostly composites) are pretty wild. The irony is his blog became popular enough that now he tests as much, if not more, cottage manufactured gear as an ambassador as he builds himself. Been wild to watch his maturation from my outdoorsy roommate exploring canyons in Utah together to his overall ultralight backpack packing/packrafting/snow-biking guru-ness (my description, not his). He quickly surpassed me in so many regards.

So many ways to approach our hobbies.

Phillip

#67 ·
Regarding tarp construction.

Having a seam across the tarp ridge where there are key tie-ins imparts strength. Its a natural reinforcement.
Placing a light nylon tape over the full length inside (bottom) of your french fell seam really does help when your tie-in comes directly from that tape. Do this in one operation as the more lockstitch sewing you do the more things are shrunk. Less is more and plenty strong. Skill and decent machine required.

Grommets can tear out. Have a back up loop in a light webbing. Don't use this as a primary. Nylon sliding on nylon will cut through.

That light webbing doesn't need to be applied to the entire edge of the tarp but should be part of your reinforcement package for about a foot either side of any attachment point.

#70 ·
Thanks!

Wilderness Community Plant community Rural area Adventure

Sewing this winter paid off! I took a 16x20 blue tarp. Then cut and hemmed it square 16x16 and attached rings to the four corners. Then used para cord line tension-ers with the 5 oars it was extremely effective in the wind and rain all for under $50.

I still need to mark the center to make it easy to place the center post.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.