Old 01-05-2014   #1
Basalt, Colorado
Suggestion for a small raft pump?

Just bought a Tributary (Aire) 9.5SB raft and need suggestions on a electric pump and a on board top off/repair pump. The pumps on NRS don't seem to have the best reviews and would like to know if anybody has used any decent electric pumps? Also, I was looking at the K-Pumps as an on board pump for topping off and repair, any suggestions on model?

B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #2
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have the K Pump 100 for my Mini Max and it works fine for topping off. I like it because it can be town in a dry bag or dry box quickly and easily.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #3
C. Springs, Colorado
I have a lot of Dewalt cordless equipment, which means I have a lot of their 18 volt batteries. I really like using their vacuum to blow up my boats. This is the one I have and I can blow up two 14' Avon's with one battery. I always take along three or four to help feed the radio too. It runs off 110v A/C as well in case you get lucky and find a plug in at the put it. It works well at home and there is nothing like being able to suck a boat down at a take out to get out of there quicker.

Dewalt: 2 Gallon Cordless or Corded Wet/Dry Vac - TheFireStore
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I am in the same situation as you. I am planning on getting an electric and smaller top off pump that can go downriver on multi-day trips.

The two electric pumps that I am considering are the Airhead which is cheaper and the NRS Blast. Both are available with 12 volt car battery clip type power cord. The blast is really nice when compared to a 6" barrel pump. One thing that is nice to have in these electric pump is the suck option if you happen to be rolling rubber. It really came in handy last summer when using the NRS Blast. I was wondering if anyone has or has used an Airhead?

As far as the small top off pump... Two of my rafting buddies have the k-40 two stage top off pump. It goes for $160 which is kinda pricey but it is really nice. Both of them recommend it. I also used it on a trip last summer on the middle fork of the flathead to continually pump up when a recent patch job was leaking... It worked great and I will be purchasing one. The size is nice (doesn't take up much space). It was also really nice to use on my SUP (higher pressure).
Dossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #5
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I love to Pump

For a boat that size I wouldn't be too concerned about an electric pump. Most electric pumps will not inflate your tubes tight enough anyways.
I use a Carlson 4" pump and it takes 7 minutes to fully inflate my 13'er.
The K-Pump K-100 would be another excellent choice, great for toping er off and stowing in a non cumbersome drybag.
K-Pump Inflatable Top Off Hand Pump - K-Pump K100

Carlson 4" Hand Pump at
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #6
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Love my k40 pump.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #7
Placitas, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989

NRS replaced my blast after four years no?'s. I use a K100 (made in the USA) on the river and a small shop vac with a blower side to inflate at the house. The small shop vac is only for the boats. I've inflated my 16' cat tubes with the K pump just to see how hard it would be and it was no big deal.
tcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #8
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Electric - Metro brand orange torpedo inflator with the 12 volt adapter. Blows & sucks. Not the best out there, but not expensive, and easy to order off Amazon. I'd like to get one of their corded models to use at home.

Top off - K100. Easy to use & stow on the boat.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #9
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Never had a problem with the Blast, I've used mine for five years.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #10
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have gone through 2 of the airheads in less than 2 years so got a NRS blast and no problems. You get what you pay for. So pay now or 2,3,4 times for a cheaper unit.

I agree with Bigdrops that any electric pump will not get to the pressure you need but when I am doing my 13 ft, my mini and maybe a SUP or 2 an electric pump sure saves time and my back. I have a K40 that I use to top everything off.
Plus made here in the USA!

fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote