Old 08-20-2010   #11
Palisade, Colorado
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
Turbos don't like towing. Diesel engines get away with this mostly at a stock tune, but once you pump them up, egt temps are the first thing you have to look out for. Gasoline engines are even more at risk, one because the turbo in your WRX is working at closer to it's maximum output to begin with, and your ecu is constantly trying to correct for knock, or detonation, by pulling spark advance away from the engine, that robs horsepower. Your egt (exhaust gas temperature) will cook your turbo from the inside out, and cause premature failure. You can call and talk to your local Subaru dealer, and they might say you can tug up to 1500 lbs, but frankly I wouldn't. A non turbo 2.2 like the one here in the pictures may not have as much punch as the WRX, but it can deal with the thermal load that towing produces.
That said, I've owned 8 Subarus, two of them turbo, and WRX's are awesome. I just picked up a 1995 Legacy wagon with the 2.2 5-speed and love it!
umm....yea....what he said.

and I like lhowemt's advice to "drive mellow", but if you know ofrog, it ain't in the cards...he should take his own advice and trade the WRX for one of these:

peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
I have a 96' Baja with a 2.5 turbo - essentially the same engine and tranny as a WRX. Also a 17' cat and an aluminum trailer.. While I have towed this rig quite a bit, including back from the GC this spring, I recently had a heat related issue with the car on a hot day coming back fully loaded from Westwater. Car started bucking and trying to stall. Wasn't engine temp but maybe tranny? Anyway, since then I really baby it going up hills and passes on a hot day - stay out of the turbo if possible. I agree with Learch - turbos and towing on small gas engines can lead to some very expensive probvlems so I would be very cautious of this application.

jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #13
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Yeah it's just too bad those Earth Roamers cost half a mill. I'm sure if he could afford one of those, towing a raft would be the least of his worries...

Anyway, I'm on the side that says go for it with your WRX. You will be fine as long as you're not trying to do 80 up the passes. A light, and small trailer is also key. The notion that one needs a big burly truck to tow stuff is purely an Amrican one. Go to any other country and you will see people towing ridiculous loads with economy sized cars. It is true that gasoline turbos are not designed for towing, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. Just make sure you drive it like you own it... not like you stole it.
All you got to do is do it.
jeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #14
Palisade, Colorado
Originally Posted by jeroland View Post
Just make sure you drive it like you own it... not like you stole it.
again, easier said than done for this guy...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #15
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I didn't realize you know him personally... If he's got a lead foot then the WRX is the perfect car for him... just don't tow anything with it.
All you got to do is do it.
jeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #16
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The WRX has a towing capacity of 1,500lbs which is probably being generous. Most people would recommend that you try to stay under half of your vehicles towing capacity, particularly for longer trips and in the mountains. By the time you get a trailer, frame, boat, and gear back there you are definitely going to be pulling several hundred pounds. If selling your car isn't an option, I would say go with hypalon boat and fold it up in your vehicle. But having done it both ways, it sure is nice to be able to drop your raft off the trailer and go.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Transporting a boat inside the WRX just isn't realistic. You guys must not know the vehicle in question. There's not much room.

How about a Quigley 1-ton 4x4 conversion? I love our van. It's a bit more spacious than the WRX . They're getting easier to find used, which is how we got ours. If you have a lead-foot you'd love it. 10 cylinders have some get-up-and-go! There is this problem with an apparent hole in the gas tank though....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4209.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	669.7 KB
ID:	2922  
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #18
pnw, Washington
The WRX with the 2.0 has almost zero low end torque, would be interesting to see what clutch damage you would incur if you had to get going on an uphill pulling a trailer.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #19
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Get a wife/girlfriend with a truck and you are all set. When I got married, we got rid of her xterra, bought an '08 STI and kept my Tacoma. Perfect setup. STI averages about 25 mpg if I'm not driving crazy too.
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #20
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I tow my 14 foot raft, fully rigged for overnighters, on a small 8 foot fold up utility trailer using ym convertible mustang. It has a towing capacity of 1,000 lbs I think. Granted, it's a v* and not turbo, but it works. I think if you can keep the trailer small and light as well as put some stuff in the back to even the load (cooler maybe?), you'd be able to do it.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote