Old 05-27-2014   #1
Breckenridge, Colorado
Stuff Sack for Throw Bag

I was thinking about making up some throw bags. Does anyone know of a good source for empty throw bags - something like the Whitewater designs 1126 (outfitter bag) would be cool if it could be bought empty.

As for rope, what's the preference, water line (sterling rope) or something thin like the Dyneema, spectra, etc..

cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #2
., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
Stuff Sack for Throw Bag

So you want to buy a throw bag without the rope, a throw rope without the bag, and then put them together?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #3
Breckenridge, Colorado
yup - that's the plan
Old 05-27-2014   #4
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Buy a regular bag. You won't save any money assembling your own. You also won't learn anything since you are too lazy to research the vast amount of information already available on the subject of rescue rope.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #5
The 1125 is the bag only
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #6
Jenks, Oklahoma
Not saying your concept will not work, but do think it will be difficult to come up with a setup that is both better than and cheaper than the multitude of commercial and some just excellent home built throw bag systems out in the market place. An example is, we have a local gent in AR "Throw bags by Tim" who turns out custom made hi quality throw bags at a very reasonable price. Then the big commercial retailers have their offers, some really good, others not so good but get the job done.

Good luck tho as you research!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #7
-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
You are so stupid for wanting to make your own gear!

Why on earth would you want to make your own equipment. You are so need to just buy name brand gear like everyone else. You should only do things that other people think are cool, never act on your own desires when it comes to your personal gear.

Man I hope the mountainbuzz community does not represent the real river community, many of you come across as real assholes.....

OK now that I got that out of the way.....I make my own gear all the time, not necessarily to save money, but because I enjoy it.

You could either make your own stuff sack and put a grommet in the bottom, or maybe put a grommet in the bottom of a commercial stuff sack.

Don't forget to put some sort of buoyancy in the bag, like a cut disc of foam pad or something.

As far as the rope goes, you want it to float, be strong enough for your application, and be thick enough to hang onto. Too thin and it hurts your hand....

Hope that helps.
heytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #8
Breckenridge, Colorado
Easy now Glenn. I was just thinking I could make up a few bags for less than I can buy them. The rope is cheap, and if the bags could be bought separately than that would be easy. I see lots of sites selling complete rescue throw bags, but I didn't see a way to buy an empty throw bag like the WW outfitter.

It ain't easy getting back after a holiday weekend, but there's no need to take it out on me. Relax.

As for the other helpful suggestions, thanks alot. I really appreciate it.

I was just thinking I could save some fuel money by building a a few throw bags and maybe a simple flip line. I'm new to the sport and don't have endless funds like lots of people who enjoy their free time more than their work time.
Old 05-27-2014   #9
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The sewing effort for a throw bag is minimal. If you can't sew then you should make friends with someone who does. Seriously, you can bang out a simple stuff sack in about 3 minutes. Maybe 20 minutes if you copy a fancy commercial one and add grommets and some foam for flotation. You can find used machines at thrift stores for under $30.

I have made several throw bags for my self. I have also been told by rangers that my homemade bags are not acceptable as 'required safety gear' since they are not commercially manufactured.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #10
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
I bought mine from Amazon, 50 feet of rope for about 15 bucks shipped. I really like it, I use it when I need help pulling into shore. It repacks really easy.

daledevon is offline   Reply With Quote