Old 06-08-2016   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
StreamTech Green Drake/ Salmonfly

Looking to purchase the Stream Tech Green Drake or SalmonFly and wanted to see what current owners think, or people who have used this raft.

I am not very tall (5'7) and was leaning towards the Green Drake as I think this might fit me better.

Looking to do day trips down the Colorado as well as 1-2 day overnight trips for flyfishing.

Any insight would be greatly appreicated.

mctapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #2
Iíll qualify my statements by saying I donít have one, only seen quite a few at put-ins/takeouts and looked them over. Nice boats with that Maravia rubber and frames made for fishing. A bit cramped inside since they are only 13-13.5 boats with big tubes and kick. If you are thinking at all about overnighters you want the Salmonfly for the extra room/storage. I donít know how modular those frames are if you wanted to do much reconfiguring, I think they are mainly welded. Nice boats but Iím not sure how they would price out against something from say DRE or RBW that might be more versatile.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #3
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm basically of the same opinion as Osseous... They're nice, but I fear for flexibility. I have rowed one; a very early version that a friend bot for his shop. It was OK, but didn't really make me twitterpated.

Either will fit you, you should be able to adjust all that's necessary. You really want to size the boat to the task, not the person. If you are fishing two folks, non stop and rarely varying the smaller would do fine. If you ever want to go with 3 folks and more gear the bigger one will be WAY more useful. It'll float higher with the same load and carry bigger loads. 6" length and width really isn't that much when it comes to fitting the boat anywhere but drastically different in capacity. It'd be a no brainer for me, but then I just jumped from 13' to 15'.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #4
Cascadia, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
There is a used one listed on the Seattle CL right now. They look like nice boats but, I just don't see the need for all that kick on a boat set up for fishing.
speyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #5
msla, Montana
Paddling Since: 83
I have seen a few of these and known a couple of people who have owned them. The very large amount of kick on it make for a tough fishing boat. They are really affected by the wind. If you look at the fully outfitted boat it is also really hard to get into/out of, especially while wearing waders. What I see in that boat is a steep creek paddle boat with a fishing frame. There are many more modern designs out there. Lower amount of kick and diminished tubes make for a friendlier boat. Also wider if possible. Sotar, NRS, Aire and possibly Maravia all have boats that might be a better fit than the Streamtech.
raturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #6
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 20

Looks like James has a new account.

South Fork is offline   Reply With Quote