Old 03-14-2014   #21
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Got all my stuff last week and have been working on straps on and off all week. 1" polyester from us cargo in a 300 foot roll was about $70 with shipping, they didn't have any 1.5" so I bought 12' of that and a dozen more 1" buckles from strapworks. I decided since the bulk roll was so much cheaper than buying by the foot that we'd just reweb all our old straps. I had about a dozen buckles, and another dozen suspect straps but when the new stuff came in it felt so nice I decided to volunteer my wife to redo them all except for a handfull that were new last fall. We're mostly done and have 45 shiny new gray straps... I went gray with orange thread for river ID.

I am a shamless idea thief, so we're adding D'rings to about half of the straps. I'd do them all but I didn't think about this until yesterday and all I could find in town was 25 D's from 6 different stores.

We're also building oar tethers and spare oar keepers (with the metal panic latches) and my final idea theft was a Stitches N Things "spider". My 5 year old asked why it was called a spider (he's not very fond of them) and I said 'cause the 8 strapped version is called the "octopus", the six strapped one is called the spider. He said "That's stupid, it should be called the "Ant", because spiders have 8 legs too and ants only have 6...." After pulling ourselves off the floor and wiping the tears from our eyes we decided to name the device the Ant. He really wants to call SNS and let them know they should change the name of theirs too. The things kids rememeber!!

I came up with an interesting webbing cutter that also works well to melt ends and shape the tips of the angle cuts. Attached is a picture of it. Also worth noting I have not had a single issue feeding the polyester through the buckles, I've just angled the cut and flattened the melt. No iron, aquaseal or anything. There is actually plenty of room. Those that have this problem with polyester does it get worse with time or when their wet?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140313_210520_540.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	7837 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140313_232319_719.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	988.4 KB
ID:	7838

elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote