Old 01-28-2014   #11
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks everyone. After mulling over all the options I decided to just build some decks.

I'm using 3/4" plywood, so the table won't even be touching the LoPros. I have some thin blue sleeping pad foam pieces that I will put between the table and deck so that the table doesn't prematurely wear through the epoxy on the decks.

I did consider all the suggestions. I even cut a piece off a pool noodle that I had laying around. I found that the downside to the pool noodle / pipe insulation / foam is that none of them are thick or dense enough to effectively share the weight of the table or completely take the weight off of the LoPros.

The only foam I've seen that would work for this option is cross-linked polyethylene (aka mini-cell). Which is typically sold in sheets and not the cheapest or most permanent/stable option anyway.

If you want to do it once and be done with it forever, kengore's option is definitely the best. However, anything other than 1x6 trex may be hard to find in stock. That's how it is around here. The best option may be to call some decking contractors and see if they'll hook you up with some scraps. I suppose you could use 1x6 trex... but cutting recesses for the tubes, using 2x or thicker trex makes the platform much more stable. You could also use wood. Making the pieces is pretty simple to do, even without a table saw.

Thanks again for all the help.

gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #12
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1988
Ran into the same problem. I like the table but the rounded edges made it so it would not sit flush on the frame rails and was a real pinch hazard. I put in two crossbars inside the bay that run parallel to the frame rails running longitudinally on the sides of the raft. Took four low pros and some additional frame rail tubing so it was not inexpensive. I also widened the bay so that the nrs table sits inside the bay and on top of the rails I added. With a few rounds of cut to fit, I got a size where the table fits in there really nicely and the lowpro's serve to hold it in place. I would take pics but raft and frame are in storage right now. It's bombproof but expensive if you don't have the parts and adds more weight to frame. I bet it weighs less than a big piece of plywood though.

deets440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #13
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Sorry, maybe I used the wrong terminology-- I built side rails or running boards, not a deck that covers the whole bay.

It running boards have so many benefits anyway that it's working out for the best.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #14
I was about to agree with watermonkey but looking at the photos it looks like they changed the table. I have a campsite counter too but it's a few years old, doesn't have the diagonal cuts on the top at the corners. It fits into my 66" frame perfectly, if anything it rests on the two crossbars primarily and I'm not sure how much it sits on the siderails if memory serves. (mine is still on the trailer in winter storage too so I can't take a look.) I might have missed it if you said how wide your frame is, it almost looks like if it was another inch wide it would fit.

I run my straps over the top of the table and down through the holes, then under the rails and back over the top of the table (if that makes sense). That way I can just loosen the straps without undoing them to get into the drop bag and the straps just stay on the table when I take it off. I get a good pull on the straps that way and it's solid, plus then the passengers on the table can grab the strap for a handle. I think I use two 6'ers, one on each end.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #15
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
Throw a pool noodle on each of the frame crossbars. This seems like bad engineering from NRS.
With 66in width frames the tall NRS tables fit perfectly between the low pros. I had two long tall tables stacked on my frame with a drop bag below them.
studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #16
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Another idea is to build the plywood side decks that extend all the way to the front of the frame. Then add strips of plywood to the long-wise rails of the table. These strips would attach directly to the table, but not interfere with the legs. They would sit directly on the 2 crossbars of the first bay and take the weight of the table. You could cut the strips long enough to exactly fit between the side decks, and would lock the table in side to side nicely. The ends of the table, where there would be no strips, would rest on the plywood side decks. 2 loop straps would of course keep the table secure front to back.

This would eliminate the need for the front hatch cover if you were going to build side decks anyway.

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote