Old 07-13-2014   #1
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Storing water containers during the "season"

Any thoughts out there for storing water containers during the season?

I empty my water containers out and try to dry them out but there is always residual water left in them. Combine that with some nice warm temps in the garage and I'm sure there's some interesting growth.

I was thinking of doing a bleach wash before closing them up.

Oh, and the reason why I close it up is that with any residual water - it attract stuff that will put up residence in the container.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I drain them, set them in the sun for a day or two, making sure there isn't any water left in it by periodically turning the jug over so any last drops get spread around the inside and evaporate. I always give the jug a good rinse before filling for a trip. If you only put clean water into the jug, & then dry it out after use, there shouldn't be any trouble. Dessication and backyard sitting-in-the-sun heat will do a pretty good job on any protozoa and bacteria hanging out in the jug.

Never had any problem, you may be overthinking this stuff or watching too many Lysol commercials. If you're really worried, give it a good bleach rinse before you use it. That's when you want it clean.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have mine emptied out, and in my shed. I leave them open for a few days, then close them up. I do a bleach rinse before each trip just to be sure.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014   #4
TV, Idaho
I store mine on a wire shelf, upside down, lid off. A quick bleach rinse before use, and off we go.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #5
Denver, Colorado
So... are you saying I should rinse them out after finally getting through 6 gallons of chocolate milk?
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #6
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
As suggested, rinse well after and before each use.

If you live in a humid climate, so humid you can't dry them out in a couple days upside down.

Feel free to consult with a Boise vs Bend thread here.

From the Chlorine Disinfection Timetable

CDC - Chlorine Disinfection Timetable - Pools & Hot Tubs - Healthy Swimming & Recreational Water - Healthy Water

Cryptosporidium (Parasite) approximately 10.6 days to kill.
Don't be blindly confident in chlorine.
Be clean.
If you're water container is suspect do a long term chlorine soak.

Or a Craigslist curb alert.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #7
cedar city, Utah
I use my containers as dirties at resupply as we use a gravity filter in camp (save 1-2 for clean only).

At home I dose the containers with Aqua Mira and let is it sit for several days. Someone got giardia on one of our river trips so we are extra cautious now. I am guessing it was from dragging his bottle in the river as we always treated containers with bleach in the past. That said, we started spending the $12 a season to kill all of the potential bugs, as bleach does not kill crypto.

If you are concerned about micros then make sure to rotate the jug with bleach in it and clean the lids and spouts thoroughly. Also make sure your bleach is fresh, as it only lasts a few months. If really worried then go with Aqua kills everything to be worried about, has no taste and no negative effect on people (bleach is tolerable in low doses but still toxic for consumption).

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #8
cedar city, Utah
This is a better source of information as its designated for consumption instead of swimming.

CDC - A Guide to Drinking Water Treatment and Sanitation for Backcountry and Travel Use - Camping, Hiking, Travel - Drinking Water - Healthy Water
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #9
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Simple solution.
Leave the water jugs at home.
Drink beer.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #10
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Using your link and going to:

It shows Chlorine as a - for treatment of Cryptosporidium.
Does give a positive to Chlorine Dioxide for Crypto.

Aquamira and other products........

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote