Stern/Convertible Frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2016   #1

Rocklin, California
Paddling Since: 1984
Stern/Convertible Frame

(First post ever here. Really enjoying the forum.)

I'm looking to buy a stern frame for a newly-acquired 14' Bullet. I used them on and off over many years on runs like Cherry Creek in California, and I think they're a great option for some of the day trips like that here. I prefer those with a slant board, as we used to use at Whitewater Voyages and other outfitters.

If properly rigged, they can also be used centered over a rear thwart.

I see that NRS sells this one, but it seems pretty costy at over $500 with shipping. Anyone else have a source at a bit more reasonable price? I'm otherwise thinking of having one built and/or trying to diy.

Thanks

zipkruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016   #2

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
We had them custom made from 2" tubing at a muffler shop. They were around $200 with powder coating and a low-back tractor seat. A slant board should be cheaper depending on the quality of the material.

Like these...
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #3

Rocklin, California
Wow! Your boats and your frames look tremendous. I am going to look into the muffler shop option. Thinking I'll simply take the boat down (and your picture) and have them knock one up.
Off topic: I wish Wing were still making whitewater boats for regular schmoes. Great guy, great product.
I couldn't afford a SOTAR this time around - my preferred boat. Going to try this Bullet out and see how it goes. Very economical.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016   #4

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
I will tell the owner... that WING is the pride of the fleet IMO. It has about 15 years of commercial use and zero issues. I believe it even took flight off a trailer on I-5 at 70mph and came out unscathed. Last I checked, you can still get a WING made but it will cost about $2k more than a loaded Sotar. Although they're worth every penny and I will have mine one day.

Most shops will make these frames with ease and a six-pack will seal the deal. The photo will help but I would give the boat dimensions to the builder just in case. Also, make the rear frame tube height close to the boats rake. You can see in the photo there is about a 6" rise on the rear where the spare oar/paddle is strapped.

I've paddled a 12' Bullet (pronounced with a french accent, similar to ballet...) and it might of been the best ride I've ever had on the Upper Klamath at one gun.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Hey Barry!

Good to see you here. I've thought about this too. Muffler shop or metal fabricator (roll bars). To keep it simple, I thought of using Nrs oar stands on a base of steel tubing shaped like we had at Voyages. We'll have to get that Bullit on some multiday trips too!

Carl
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #6

Rocklin, California
Hey Carl! Great to see you last week, and to see you here. Looking forward to having the flexibility to get on some trips with you and the rest of the Voyages gang. Heading to the Tuolumne in a couple of weeks with some family if I can get all my gear together.. Including a frame!