Old 07-12-2016   #11
Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
This is a legit project and I have been contacted several times about this. I forwarded the request to our owner, however at 78 years young there are other things on his plate.
As far as proprietary information goes, there is not much I've seen that meets that criteria in this industry. Once something is on the market it's out there for everyone to copy, even names aren't safe anymore.
Zach is right about the RMR factory. We only use the same factory as RMR to build our waterpark tubes which are heat-welded because it is much cheaper. I know this because Disney toured their factory for inspection and we have (Z-pro Watersports) the exclusive Disney account. Heat-welding is being used as a marketing tactic due to the epic glue failure Star Inflatables experienced in the early 90's. When you melt two flexible pieces of plastic together they are no longer as flexible when cool. The thicker the plastic the more rigid it becomes when cool. So, over time with inflation and deflation the edge where melted and non melted flex can create delamination and a frothy pin-hole boat.
Star Inflatables heat-welds the inside seam tape (500 denier PVC) for air-retention and hand glues everything else for strength. We let our 7 year warranty speak for the quality of todays 2 part PVC glue.
Herm, I'll ask if I can answer your inquiry. Thanks for documenting the history of an industry so many think they know so much about.

Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #12
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Where can i buy a star raft?

stuntsheriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #13
Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
We sell direct, HOME - STAR manufactures the world's finest inflatable rafts, catarafts and kayaks and accessories for whitewater rafting and touring. (our website sucks). Southern Raft Supply in Asheville, NC. Rock Creek Outfitters in Chattanooga, TN. Chattooga Whitewater Shop in Long Creek, SC.

Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote