Old 07-08-2015   #1
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Splash Jackets / Pants

Looking for some insight on splash jackets and pants. I have always been told to not synch down the cuffs because if you go for a swim, I will hold water and make it harder to get to shore.

This made sense to me and therefore I have followed it. If that is the case, why to all manufactures include cuffs that can be synched down? Am I missing something?

CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
I've never heard that... but I'm a pretty big fan of Bomber Gear's splash gear. They use neoprene cuffs on everything except the neck... keeps the water out quite nicely, and they're super comfy.

It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #3
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've always "synched down" my cuffs on both pants and jacket. never had a problem. I've never been in the water for all that long on a swim either, so maybe it just didn't have a chance to gather inside? But I have been in the water several times in both splash pants and jacket and it has not been an issue for me.

On the jacket in particular, it is under the PFD, so not a lot of place for water to go other than the sleeves anyway. In both cases, worst cases is all you would have to do is release the cuffs if they start to fill and you'd be in no worse shape than had you started that way. At least with mine, they are only velcro after all.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #4
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I've worn splash gear plenty of times in the water. My neck and arms have neoprene cuffs but the ankles are just elastic. I've never had a issue with swimming while having the gaskets closed up. In fact it seems to keep me warmer because as long as you get your head up quickly it will actually keep some of your torso dry for a while in the air pocket. Plus if you have a base layer like fleece it feels like it traps the water in and warms up, sort of acts like a wet suit.

Never tried swimming with splash gear with sealable ankle cuffs. Can't imagine it would be too much trouble compared to the buoyancy of the PFD. Try swimming with it during flat water and see how it goes.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote